- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Cut pumpkin in half and discard the seeds. Place pumpkin on baking sheet and bake for 1 hour or until fork tender.
- Scrape pumpkin meat into bowl. Discard the skin and strain the excess liquid. Blend pumpkin meat with honey and spices. Set aside to cool.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean. Pour cream, sugar, vanilla bean seeds and pumpkin purée into a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl. Slowly add hot liquid to beaten egg yolks, constantly whisking.
- Place 8 (6 to 8 ounce) ramekins into a large cake pan or roasting pan. Fill ramekins with batter. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekin.
- Bake just until the crème brûlée is set but still trembling in the center (approximately 40 mins). Remove ramekins from pan and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- To finish sprinkle an even amount of sugar on top of custard and caramelize the top with a blow torch or in the oven on broil setting.
A bold, malty American barley wine like Distillerie Fils du Roy's North Shore Regiment