In today's Orange County, Newport Beach is described as an affluent community where only the wealthy can afford to live, but tourists love to visit. But it wasn't always like this. In 1905, Pacific Electric 'Red Cars' were extended to Newport. This allowed visitors from Los Angeles to go to and from with far more ease of access.
In 1909, the Orange County Board of Supervisors allowed a man named William Collins to create an island with his small dredge of land to the east of the bay. They built a seawall that protected part of this island out of wood. Later this seawall was reinforced with cheap concrete, but for the time being, Balboa Island was born out of a small mud flat called Snipe Island.