This is the time to gather all of your thoughts! A chance to experiment with ideas without stressing the topic too much yet. Find out what really interests you to write about and start to roll with it! Think of a topic and then different details to go with that topic.
- Make Notes
- Concept Maps
- Idea Webs
- Make a List
This is the stage where you take your topic and you roll with it. You start writing and let the topic lead you. use your prewriting ideas for references to build and elaborate on. Just start writing and keep going until you've written about everything you wanted to include.
- Use pre-writing ideas as fuel
- Start writing
- Be confident in your writing
During this stage you share your work with your peers! Your peers will give you feedback on how you are doing. This way you can hear how you are doing, what people like about your work, and also gather ideas of how you can improve your work!
- Don't be afraid of constructive criticism
- Don't be afraid of giving constructive criticism
- Buff a negative with two positives: "I like.....and.....but I wish you would do/add this...."
When thinking of editing think; Writing conventions: Grammar, spelling, punctuation, and usage. Proof read your writing. Try and catch mistakes! pass it along to another person for them to edit just incase you might have missed something!
- Use a dictionary for spelling
- Familiarize yourself with different punctuation
- Ask questions!
The Internal Structure of the Piece
Time to take your ideas and put them in order. Categorize them figure out which ideas relate to each other. Start to think about the order of importance and the order you want to write about them in.
- Internal Structure
- Thread of Central Meaning
- Logical Pattern of Ideas
- Logical order of ideas
- Details relate to each other
Personal Tone and Flavor of the Author's Message.
Make your work sound like you. Write with energy, expression, and enthusiasm. Choose a style that will keep the readers interest.
- Heart and Soul of the Piece
- The Magic
- The Wit
- Unique personal expression emerging through words.
Let your personality shine through your writing!
The Vocabulary a Writer Chooses to Convey Meaning.
Spice up your word choice! Use descriptive words and phrases when writing. A thesaurus is a great tool to use if you are stuck on trying to find the best word to fit in your writing.
- Paint a picture with your words
- Move or enlighten the reader with your word choice