"The state of Michigan threatened local beavers with a $10,000 per day fine for failing to remove their dams."
- In July of 1997, a man sent a complain about flooding in his back yard to the department of environmental quality. 5 months later the department responded stating-
"The “construction and maintenance of two wood debris dams across the outlet stream of Spring Pond” was “unauthorized” because “a permit must be issued prior to the start of this type of activity.”,
^ In shorter terms, the department responded saying there is a construction of a dam causing the flooding, this activity being done illegally.
- After the department of environmental quality determined what to do about this case, they decided to see who was behind this, with the intention of having them remove their work
- To their surprise, the milicious builders were beavers
- As we mentioned before, building a dam without a permit is punishable by law. For whatever reason the state of Michigan decided to go through with their laws & punish the beavers for building their homes & causing destruction
So to our surprise, this story is true!
- As every US case goes, someone had to represent the beavers in their court case, here are some quotes their angry representative had to say about the manner
"In my humble opinion, the Spring Pond Beavers have a right to build their dam unauthorized dams as long as the sky is blue, the grass is green, and water flows downstream. They have more dam right than I to live and enjoy Spring Pond."
"As to your dam request the beavers first must fill out a dam permit prior to the start of this type of dam activity, my first dam question to you is: are you trying to discriminate against my Spring Pond Beavers"
"The Spring Pond Beavers are financially destitute and are unable to pay"
Luckily, the case ended here, the state of michigan came to their senses dropped the case, the beavers were not fined & were able to keep their homes