- Large, shared, communal gatherings innate to human existence
- “Festival” showed up in 16th century "festus” meaning “joyus”
- Music festivals have been around since Ancient Greece.
- However, the relationship between music and lived experience has been left under-explored (Olsen and Gould 2008)
- Woodstock, 1969; paved the way for music festival culture in post-modernism
- Since then internet has collided with music - creating surge of mega-festivals
- A lot of things to manage: music artists, media, security, wristbands, food vendors, water supplies, bathrooms, emergency medical services, attendees, volunteers, trash/recycling, sound equipment, stages