The Beara Peninsula has a rugged beauty all it's own and is the only peninsula in Ireland that is located in two counties: Kerry and Cork. The Celts first landed in Garnish at the western tip. The Peninsula was named after the Spanish Princess Beara, daughter of the King of Castille.
Dunboy Castle, built to defend the harbour of Berehaven, was home to Donal O’Sullivan Beare, the last gaelic chieftain (and quite an interesting character). From the vantage point of the castle, he was able to control the fishing boats and collect taxes from vessels entering the harbor. Now in ruins, the castle is open to visitors!
In the 1700's, the Puxley family was granted the rights to the Dunboy lands. The O'Sullivans were quite displeased and foretold of dire consequences to the new owners, and thus the legend of the O'Sullivan curse emerged.
Castltown Berehaven is a small town located near Berehaven Harbour and is currently one of the 5 main fishing ports in Ireland. There are several restaurants, pubs, bakeries, candy and ice cream stores, groceries, gift shops, computer stores, art galleries and more.
Bere Island is approximately 1.5 miles from Castletownbere and easily accessible by ferry. The island is full of bronze age archaeological sites and is teeming with wildlife from birds and butterflies to dolphins and whales. Enjoy a Sea Safari leaving from Bere Island or Castletownbere, swimming and other water sports, or just enjoy a delicious seafood dinner in one of the island restaurants or pubs.
The Irish name for this island is Oileán Baoi (island of the Bull from the Viking Norse). Dursey may have been used by the Vikings to hold captured slaves. Donal O’Sullivan Bere, after stealing his cousin's wife held her hostage here.
Dursey Island is located off the southwest coast of Ireland at the western tip of the Beara Peninsula. The island is approximately 4.5 miles long and 1 mile wide and is separated from the mainland by the Dursey Sound. Ireland’s only cable car carries visitors and inhabitants to and from Dursey Island. Historically there were three towns on the island and some of the buildings remain. There are no shops or restaurants so it is advised that water and food be carried in. The main attraction is birdwatching.
Hungry Hill is the highest mountain in the Caha Mountains. The Mare's Tail, a waterfall originating in two lakes - Coomadayallig and Coomarkane - travels down Hungry Hill and is the highest waterfall in Ireland. The waterfall is seasonal depending on the amount of rainfall.
Gleninchaquin Park is a family owned park/farm in County Kerry. There are six walks or nature trails in the park, increasing in length and difficulty with the numbers. Wildlife and beautiful landscapes draw many tourists to this area each year.
Uragh is a neolithic stone circle near Gleninchaquin Park. Lough Inchiquin is close by and the Mare's Tail may be seen in the distance when there has been enough rain. The stone circle consists of five megaliths with the largest being 3 meters high.
Photo by Jörg Bittner Unna - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=35816428
Bantry House dates back to the 1700's and changed hands from the original owner to the Whites. By 1780 the owners had amassed 80,000 acres! The second Earl of Bantry is credited with the designing of original gardens based on his travels.
Today Bantry House is open to daily visitors. The west wing has been turned into a B & B and there is a tea room serving light lunches. Traditional tea is served between 2 and 5:30 in the library and must be booked in advance.