1. Draw a ladder on the whiteboard and write a word on the first step.
2. Ask a volunteer to change one letter in the word to form a new word.
3. Write a new word on the second step and continue until the ladder is completed.
1. Can be used to practice spelling patterns and meaning. Words can be used later during a writing activity.
2. Can be used to work on different skills such as beginning sounds, medial sounds and final sounds.
3. Multiple skills at once. Including phonics, spelling, and vocabulary practice.
S.2.3, S.3.3, S.3.4, S.4.2, S.4.3, S.5.1, S.5.3
COMMON CORE STANDARDS
RF.K.1 Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print.
RF.K.2 Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds. (rhyming, blend and segment onsets and rimes of single syllable spoken words, Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds, add or substitute individual sounds.)
RF.K.3 Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
Phonics From A to Z a Practical Guide by Wiley Blevins. pp. 134, 191.