Outstanding Women in Politics: Daniella Levine Cava
Currently serving as a Miami-Dade County commissioner, Daniella Levine Cava stands as the Miami-Dade County Mayor elect.
Cava's recent victory in the 2020 Miami-Dade County mayoral election is not only a triumph for the Democratic Party- but for women in politics across the nation!
Daniella Levine Cava will be the first female mayor of Miami-Dade County, Florida, since the first mayor was elected in 1964.
Education and Career
Daniella Levine Cava's academic career is no less impressive than her political career. Cava graduated Yale University in 1977 with a Bachelor of Arts in psychology, and later received her Juris Doctorate (1981) and Master of Social work (1983) from Columbia University.
Before serving as a politician, Cava worked as an American lawyer and social-worker with the Legal Services of Greater Miami. She became a director for the Guardian Ad Litem program, and served on the Florida Bar Committee on Legal Needs of Children.
Cava was appointed as the Miami-Dade County program manager for the Florida Department of Children, later founding the Human Services Coalition in Miami. Eventually renamed 'Catalyst Miami', Cava's program was responsible for aiding low-income families with monetary advice and building financial security.
- Sponsored Miami-Dade County legislation that required local candidates for office to register when they raised money for PACs
- Created the Infill Housing Program which aims to build affordable housing on County-owned land in district 8
- Sponsored the resolution to support the Paris climate agreement- advocating for the protection of the environment (2017)
- Created an initiative to protect pedestrians and bikers from harm's way (2018)
- Published a Miami Herald letter that criticized FL State Legislature for diverting funds for affordable housing. Her letter instigated the balancing of the state's budget with a diversion of nearly 1.4 billion dollars (2019)
- Miami-Dade County District 8 Commissioner (elected 2014, reelected 2018)
- Mayor-elect for Miami-Dade COunty
- Democratic Party
- The Most Distinguished Pioneer Award from the National Alliance to Nurture the Aged and the Youth
- The Joanne Hayes Democracy and Mentoring Award from the League of Women Voters
More about Mayor-Elect Cava...
- Known as the Water Warrior, with Cava being a fierce advocate for the protection of our environment and water resources
- Campaign slogan: #AMayorWhoCares