Our way to somewhat success, Version 0.243 BY conner hill

In the beginning of the school year we were introduced to our new project for the semester. Within this project we must design a fully functioning cannon. This cannon must have the ability to rotate, elevate, and shot a projectile a great distance. Today, our main goal was to begin discussing what our plan of action was. We decided that we will begin by figuring out how we are going to elevate and rotate our cannon. We began to brainstorm some ideas such as a microwave like design for rotating the cannon and a table for the base, but nothing was set in stone yet. Next class period, we continued brainstorming so we could have a clearer course of action for the days to come.

We started this project going strong. We had come up with many ideas that seemed very good in our minds. We made multiple drawings and we watched multiple Youtube videos talking about different gear systems and how they could make our cannon the best it could be. It took us many class periods before coming up with an idea for a barrel support. Everyday, we went straight to the drawling board to work on our cannon design. After using the drawling board to help brainstorm multiple ideas, we were able to begin designing in Onshape.

After many edits, we were able to create a cut file for our support. We then were able to print out our barrel support on the laser cutter using a small piece of wood. Once we got our barrel support and we were satisfied that it came out just as we planned.

Our next step after this was to get our cannon assembled, the steps of which were very easy. We had to cut our PVC pipe to certain specified lengths and we had to use proxy glue to glue everything together. We had gotten everything put together in a total of two class periods.

At this time, one of our group members had left our group to go to another group that had already advanced past our group. At this point in time, I was the only person in my group that knew how to use Onshape efficiently, and was truly dedicated to creating new ideas. Once we hit this point, the average progress our team made in a given class period began to decrease, as we were becoming less efficient and less of a team. This was the start of our slow downfall. Our first major failure for us was the proxying at the cap at the end of our cannon. When constructing our cannon, we proxied the cap to the end of our cannon before we put our cannon supports on the barrel. At this point we were collectively stumped.

During the week after this failure, we had plenty of time to come up with a new ideas for our barrel supports. During this week, I was absent due to my sickness so I had given my team my Onshape password so they could continue making progress while l was gone. Sadly, my team made little progress due to the fact that they relied so much upon me. From this, I made the realization that I was doing the majority of the work, and time was beginning to run out. I was able to successfully create our cannon design within two class periods. After this, we were able to print our design on the ShopBot and assemble it in the shop.

After assembling our design in the shop, we found that our design was very unstable. In order to fix this problem, we used duct tape to stabilize our design. Finally, my team and I were ready to begin testing our cannon in the field outside of our workshop. We were very surprised from the results of our testing. We found that out cannon shot the farthest out of our whole class, which really surprised us given that we had such an unstable design. Our farthest shot was 174.6 feet, at 35 degrees of elevation, at 75 PSI. This was really the shocking part from this whole experiment.

Overall, I believe that this project showed us that good team work and cooperation is need to create a well working, stable project, that works both efficiently and effectively. All in all, although my group and I had some rough patches in our work ethic, I believe we can work these out in the future so that we can become an effective and progress group, and a better model for younger students in lower level engineering classes.

Credits:

Issac ross

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.