Minutes 9/4/17 Secretary, Kara Donovan

  • Invocation by Senator Pate
  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Roll call by Secretary Donovan
  • Senators Tilley, Moskowitz, and Seymour were found absent

Presentation by Student Body Treasurer Connor McCormick

  • Overview of how funding board works
  • At funding board: 5 min presentation about what organization does, then 15 min to go over finances
  • Board evaluates: impact on Clemson, likelihood of success, accordance with academic & cultural values of Clemson, working towards being self-sustainable
  • Rules: fund max 65% of a budget, no food/alcohol/t-shirts, $60/night/hotel room, $0.35 for every mile (on your own car)
  • RR: what values do you think Clemson has?
  • CM: here to get a degree, make sure to be academically-focused; cultural values focus on inclusivity
  • CJ: expanding from Big 6 to Big 7?
  • CM: Yes that is happening to include military organizations as 7th member, focusing on military heritage and student veterans organizations
  • MH: speak to the process of how funding board interviews new members?
  • CM: active in reaching out to various organizations, wide variety of involvement within funding board, a problem-solving group
  • SP: how to become self-sustaining?
  • CM: how often are they coming in? Look into other avenues for funding
  • PG: sustainability standard applies to Big 6?
  • CM: funding board’s immediate job is to fund the Big 6 and all of their organizations, so not as much of a focus on being self-sustainable
  • PG: formal process to add to the Big 6?
  • CM: talk about bylaws, funding board aspect, etc, I'll be back in a few weeks to present on that
  • IK: can you apply for a refund?
  • CM: short answer, no, student organizations have to be proactive
  • IK: when do you ask for money for the summer?
  • CM: ideally by the last month of school, and then the rest can be done via email
  • AO: briefly explain what the Big 6 is?
  • CM: student activity fee has been created long before any of us, founded long ago- includes Student media, FSL, club sports, Tiger Paw Productions, CUSG, Clemson Live

Presentation by Associate Dean for General Education and Engagement

  • Dr. Bridget Trogden
  • 10th week at Clemson
  • Looking at components of the strategic plan
  • Interactive game (Bullseye)
  • Discussion on general education and its importance to being a well-rounded student
  • Many students find gen eds boring
  • Look at length of add/drop period, can’t get a good idea of what the class is like from just the syllabus
  • Many gen eds fill up really quickly so freshmen can’t always get in
  • Make coursework engaging with contemporary material
  • Lots of gen ed classes are huge lecture halls
  • Not all advisors were well-versed in gen ed curriculum
  • Lack of clear reasoning for why students are taking courses irrelevant to their major
  • More open-ended environment in gen eds
  • Talk about gen ed more specifically in orientation
Academic Affairs, Shreya Shankar
  • Meeting time moved -- Mondays at 6:00 in the offices
  • Summer Reading Committee Senator appointed - Tremain
  • Tremain is meeting up with military affairs committee to discuss earlier registration times for ROTC members
  • CUDIRS was approved $1000 for advertising and banner
  • Getting back to work with advising committee for Major/Minor fair this year, date to be early spring semester
  • Madison and Mar reaching out about printers in every residence hall.
  • Meeting with Deans of each College to discuss unified document of research and internships.
  • Discussing possibility of food trucks behind the library during finals week
  • Matt talking to registrar’s office and discussing with Dean Griffin about getting free transcripts for students
  • Contact info
  • Shreya Shankar
  • 843-260-4372
  • shanka2@clemson.edu
  • @shreyatheslaya
Athletics, Josh Hutchinson
  • Updates
  • Campus Rec Updates
  • Sauna and steam room will be open this week. Hours will be 5am-2pm and 6pm-Close
  • Looking to open up one/two basketball courts for volleyball, indoor soccer, and badminton during open rec times
  • Mat Room renovation to come soon—probably mid semester
  • Mat room will be made into a functional fitness space
  • Athletics Updates
  • Meeting with them this week to work on ticketing issues
  • We will be able to bring back waterfall signup (i.e. if a senior doesn’t get a ticket during senior slot, they can try again at later slots)
  • Be sure to check your ticket via email to see which gate you are suppose to enter the stadium in
  • Please let me know of all issues and complaints
  • Ticketing Tips
  • Use the following URL: www.clemsontigers/students
  • Register your CUID several hours before the ticketing window to make sure that you can login to your account
  • Make sure you do not have any holds on your account. The system will not let you get a ticket if you have holds on your account. Working to fix this but until then, make sure your account is clear of any holds.
  • Go into the ticketing portal right at the time it opens i.e. go in at 5pm if your window starts at 5pm
  • Avoid using mobile devices when getting your ticket. Especially apple mobile devices such as Iphones and Ipads
  • We are working very hard to perfect this system so please be patient
  • Projects
  • Ticketing policy tweaking
  • Campus Rec project management
  • Athletic updates
  • We beat Kent State 56-3 on Saturday and #2 was dropping dime pieces out there… Auburn you’re next
  • Contact Info
  • Josh Hutchinson | 803-727-3854 | jhutch4@g.clemson.edu
Campus Life, Jacob Livingston
  • Updates this Week
  • Off-Campus Housing Fair sign ups are live! If your housing company isn’t signed up, let me know!
  • Met with RHA President Gunnar Branham this week about future partnerships
  • Rachel and I are meeting with Dining this week about Multicultural Dining Hall Days (Sept. 26th)
  • TigerFlix Suggestion Form: https://goo.gl/forms/X8GPQIReYXAuHzL33 (for a point)
  • Just had my first PSL of the season. Happy fall y’all! | jwlivin@clemson.edu | (843) 855-2516 | SC: @jacobsayshi | Twitter/Insta: @jacob_livvy
Finance and Procedures, Miller Hoffman
  • Funding Board on Wednesday @ 6. LMK if you’re coming; we don’t want to overpack the room.
  • Bylaws Task Force moving along. Expect Elections amendments before the rest (time sensitive).
  • Come see me if you have change ideas.
  • Here’s my Committee’s individual project ideas. Link up with them if you want to collaborate.
  • Bryson: “Study Hours in the Valley” idea for spring, continuing to found Navy ROTC here.
  • Parker: wants to plan an event for CUSG to involve the study body, maybe like a coffee hour or something similar. Also is working with Christian on Vet’s Center
  • AJ: working with library staff to open Harcombe for new study places, working on transferring physical data to electronic backup
  • Christian: Bylaws Task Force, Vet’s Center space
  • B: meeting with Comm department to explore Comm credit for tour guides
  • Samuel: looking into debate event between professors, grad and undergrad students
  • As always, hmu with questions/concerns mhoffm5@g.clemson.edu
Health and Human Services, Madison Gregoris
  • Updates:
  • Meeting Friday with Dr. Miller and Dr. Lee Gill was rescheduled
  • Meeting with Killian and Perrin this week to start talking about a Reclaim Old Main initiative
  • Tampon/Pad donation drive coming soon
  • Partnership with Outreach to do a CADD week, meeting with Lauren Singleton on Monday 9/4
  • Reached out to George Clay
  • Condoms coming soon in the CUSG lobby
  • Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor will be on campus at Brooks on September 14th from 11AM-Noon. Tickets are available 1PM-5PM in the Brooks box office
  • Call me/beep me/if you wanna reach me | 315-559-2066, mjgrego@g.clemson.edu, SC: @madisonj315
Transportation and Facilities, Patrick Gorospe
  • BikeShare research kicked off last week. Great seminar talk by Dr. Robert Hampshire on bike-sharing systems
  • Please send any CATbus or parking concerns my way! When you do, please provide a time/place as well as description of the situation so I can best advocate for you :-)
  • Committee Member Updates
  • Jessica Ruday - going to reimagine Safety Walk and see how it can most effectively promote safety and awareness on campus
  • Andrew O’Steen - reaching out to see how he can contribute to Student Chapel. Working with Lisa Uy to develop a bathroom quality form
  • Emily Anders - discovered the Whoosh mobile metered parking app. Developing a storyboard to re-imagine a parking pre-quiz experience
  • Monica Rozman - working with CUPD to explore the possibility of a school-wide active shooter training
  • Lisa Uy - working with Andrew on the bathroom quality form
  • #onTheProwl
  • Upcoming Meetings
  • Dan (TBD)
  • Srgt. Young (9/5)
  • Todd Barnette (9/5)
  • Gary Gaulin (TBD)
  • Gerald Vander Mey (TBD)
  • Green Crescent Trail Steering (9/21)
  • HMU 803-371-0959 | pgorosp@clemson.edu | @heyitsmepatg (coffee, free food, friendship)
University Services, Mikey Summers
  • ITSAB Student Advisory Board
  • Food at Every Meeting
  • Allocate $500,000 to student projects every year
  • Advise CCIT on student concerns and opinions
  • Looking for 3 new members!
  • Food Summit
  • Assembling Leadership Team
  • If interested in Food Sustainability, Health and Wellness, or Food Politics and Cultural Impacts, contact Ashley Girvin (864)553-1274
  • Met with Ryan Real and Dustin Atkins
  • We The Tigers
  • Coordinating with Anderson (R&D), Taylor (Webmaster), and Freddie (Comm. Dir.)
Clerk, Jack Council
  • CUSG app
  • CUSG on-campus activities
  • If you ever have any questions or just wanna hang out, 704-488-3242 jcounci@g.clemson.edu, Snapchat/Insta: @jack_council
Secretary, Kara Donovan
  • Welcome new senators :)
  • Points
  • Funding board
  • CUDIRS
  • T&F Facebook post
  • TigerFlix post
  • Let me know ideas for prizes!!
  • Attendance
  • Please let me know in advance or else it will be unexcused
  • OCHF is absence makeup
  • Meet the Senators
  • Contact Info
  • (410) 220-7220
  • donova3@g.clemson.edu
  • Insta: @kara710
  • Twitter: @kdon710
  • Snapchat: @karadonovan710
Pro Temp, Steven Patrick
  • Fall RetreatToGoForward
  • CHEGG Committee
  • Tigerama Ticket$
  • Mexican Food?
Vice President, Jaren Stewart
  • DACA
  • Hurricane Harvey Relief
Senate President, Leland Dunwoodie
  • Shoutouts
  • Hutch (MCAT)
  • Parker Tilley (engaging students)
  • Zach Pate and Anna Albert (Brooks Center)
  • New Senators (Derwin, Mason, and Arianna)
  • Updates
  • Senate Cookout Tues 9/12 6-8pm at UCentre
  • Luke 12:48
  • Steering Action Steps
  • Start a project and write it on the project list
  • Let me know how I can help
  • Leland Dunwoodie | 269-759-4768 | ldunwoo@g.clemson.edu | @lelanddunwoodie

Announcements

  • JS: meeting Wed 2:30 at BGR with Outreach and TigerQuest
  • JH: let me know if you want to join campus rec committee
  • ZP: pushing CUSG to do more community service → boost town/gown relations, refugee camp in ATL
  • JR: fill out survey for mentor/mentee program (put link in minutes)
  • BS: go CUGA

Adjournment

Created By
Kara Donovan
Appreciate

Credits:

Created with images by jill111 - "stack of books vintage books book" • Daria-Yakovleva - "background frame food" • TBIT - "dollar bank note money" • www.metaphoricalplatypus.com - "Bikes" • mebner1 - "printer 3d making"

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.