The Fashionable Friend
- On blogs, readers are exposed to the personal life of the blogger and they watch interaction take place through comment features with online visitors. These interactions have been demonstrated to generate parasocial interaction in online forums and blogs.
- PSI is reinforced by several encounters with the performer (blogger) and stronger parasocial feelings are formed.
- Especially related to blogs because they are updated several times a day in contrast to online magazines which are much less frequent lessening the chances that a PSR will form.
- After repeated exposure on a blog, a relationship develops and the readers my consider the blogger as their friend.
- This leads to the conclusion that online blogs are more effective for brand publicity due to the PSR consumers form with online bloggers.
Strengths and Weaknesses
1. I really like this article because I think it is very easy to relate to my own life. Even if I don't feel that I have a strong parasocial relationship with a blogger, I still feel more connected to this form of media versus a traditional magazine.
2. The study could have reviewed more types of media instead of only using online magazines and fashion blogs for a more well rounded study. For example: video blogs are really popular in the promotion of products (probably more popular than fashion blogs)
- Have you ever been in a parasocial relationship? Has this ever influenced you to purchase a certain item?
- Would you be more likely to purchase items after seeing them featured in an online blog in comparison to an online magazine?
- How do you think the effects of parasocial interaction will changed the way online magazines/ the traditional media operates?
- Other questions?