1. Cattle ranchers in the Republic raised animals for their own use or to sell to other Texans. 2. Texas farmers mostly grew food for their own needs, although they sometimes also produced a small cash crop.
3. Only in towns or cities did people have jobs that were not directly tied to farming or ranching. 4. Small towns were home to blacksmiths, carpenters, tailors, and other artisans.
5. Land speculators were people who bought large amounts of land in hopes of making profits. 6. Some towns were founded by land speculators.
7. Life in Texas was not just about work, Texans enjoyed a number of leisure activities. 8. Denominations are organized religious groups with similar beliefs.
9. Circuit riders are traveling preachers. 10. Academics are schools that offered classes higher than high school level.