A Fidget Spinner is the result
Tier 1: 116 seconds, 121 seconds, 125 seconds
Tier 2: 120 seconds, 118 seconds, 123 seconds
Tier 3: 91 seconds, 97 seconds, 91 seconds
The third tier was the worst times of all the tests. The first and second were the best, having broken 2 minutes. The third tier had lower times because the angle that the lever was dropped at was the smallest, so it carried less momentum. The lever came down a shorter amount of distance and carried less energy to be transferred into the spinner. The first and second tier had a larger angle so more energy could be transferred and the spinner could spin for a longer period of time.
Overall, this project was a success. The Engineering Design process was very helpful in organizing ideas and thoughts into clear and concise stages. We feel that the most important steps of the Engineering Design process are the Research and Design stages. The Research stage allowed my group to explore different factors that affected a fidget spinner. This allowed our group to be somewhat successful. The Design stage allowed my group to compromise and come up with the best design that fit all of our ideas. This allowed for the best results across the board. We found that none of the steps in the Engineering Design process were the least important because they all helped to keep everything organized and helped us not to forget anything important. The most problems were during the Design stage of the process. Our group had many different ideas and had a hard time deciding whose was best. We agreed to compromise on the main details of the project.
There were many stages to this project. The first stage that our group went through was the Problem Statement stage. Any good project starts with a problem and an idea of the end product. We wrote a problem statement and based our project off of that statement. The problem statement was almost like our thesis. Next stage was the Research stage. We looked at different spinners and chose the longest spinning designs to base our design off of, centripetal force which is used to keep something going, and we also read more about the reason why we were designing the spinner, which was for people and students struggling to sit still. We then underwent the Design phase. We took our research about what we had done about the best spinners and designed a few rough sketches. Many looked completely different than others, but we had certain details that we wanted included in our design. After we analyzed our rough sketches, we created a detailed sketch that combined many ideas into one. Once we got the main design down, we turned to Onshape to create a prototype. Before we printed however, we needed to figure out how big to make the holes in order to fit the weights that we decided on in. We printed a few different sized holes and chose the best option, since the 3D printer doesn't print exact. After the prototype was printed, we popped the weights in. They fit, which was a success. Then we were off to the Testing stage of the Engineering Design Process. We tested our spinner three times at each tier and recorded our results. We then analyzed them to find any patterns and relationships. Overall, the process was a success.
In total for the class, there was a correlation in the height of the lever and the amount of time the spinner. The higher the lever, the longer the spinner spun. Tier three for every group had the lowest numbers. Also the spinners with 4 to 5 spokes spun the longest, no less and no more. Also there was a correlation between weight and time. The heaviest spinner spun the longest. The volume had to be around a certain number as well. Too small and it wouldn't spin for very long and too large it wouldn't spin for very long.
My groups spinner was good, however it wasn't the best. If I were to do this project again, I would change a few things. First, it wasn't totally balanced. One thing I would do to fix this is to use the circular pattern tool in Onshape to make sure it is the same, instead of using it to check. Secondly, it wasn't that heavy and the weight wasn't towards the outside of the spinner, causing it not to create centripetal force. To solve this problem, I would add more spokes to the design and I would also position and use different weights.
Personal Fidget Spinner