Why these resources?
The quick guide is not an exhaustive list of resources, and keep in mind that both the West Hills and Santee Branch libraries offer print copies of test preparation books to check out, as well. Still, the four sources highlighted provide quality, FREE (to you), online test prep content that you should try out.
About College Board & ACT
Whenever you have questions about tests, you should always go to the actual testing organizations for answers. This is why College Board & ACT links are featured in the first column.
About Khan Academy
Khan Academy is a free website that provides online learning tutorials and exercises, including a growing body of content directly tied to test preparation. You may even link up your CollegeBoard account to get personalized SAT practice recommendations based on your PSAT and SAT results.
PrepSTEP is a subscription-based online resource provided for FREE to GUHSD students. Simply create an account and log in using the link on the West Hills Library homepage.
TERC is another subscription-based online resource that you may access for free if you have a San Diego County Library (SDCL) public library card. If you do not already have an SDCL library card, below are two options for getting one:
- Go in person to an SDCL library (WITH parent/guardian, if under 18) and bring a valid photo ID and proof of current address.
- BENEFIT 1: Get a card right on the spot!
- BENEFIT 2: Get unlimited access to the entire SDCL collection, including print books, physical media, and online resources such as TERC, online databases, eBooks, and more.
- BENEFIT 3: Your local library professionals are always happy to help you find necessary information on TERC, books available for checkout, programs to attend, and more!
- SPECIAL OFFER (while supplies last): If you visit the Santee Branch with a parent to get a card, you may get a FREE candy bar!
- Get a paper application from the West Hills Library, (2) Fill it out and have a parent/guardian sign, (3) Return application to Ms. Sannwald at the West Hills Library, (4) After your application is approved and processed - it may take at least several school days - receive a school-issued SDCL library card at West Hills.
- CONSIDERATION 1: You do not get a card to use immediately. The whole process may take 1-2 weeks to complete.
- CONSIDERATION 2: A school-issued card provides you with limited access to check out up to only 2 print books at a time. Having said that, you will still have full access to online resources, including TERC and other valuable databases, eBooks, and digital audiobooks! To "upgrade" your card in the future, simply visit an SDCL branch in person with a parent/guardian.
- BENEFIT: Get an SDCL card at school without having to make an extra trip with a parent to an SDCL branch location. This is a helpful option if you do not have transportation or time.
Talk with Ms. Sannwald in the library!