Labor Day weekend was anything but a day off for six UChicago teams who opened up their seasons on the playing field. Highlights included victories for women's soccer, men's soccer, volleyball and women's cross country. Scroll to see what you missed and what's up next this week!
- Friday, Sept. 8: St. Norbert @ #9 UChicago, 5:30p CT, Stagg Field.
- Saturday, Sept. 9: Men's Soccer at #22 Carthage, 7:30 p.m. CT
SEPT. 1 RESULTS:
The #9 Maroons used Max Lopez goal in the 85th minute to withstand a second-half score from visiting Whitworth and top the Pirates by a 2-1 score in a gritty season-opener Friday.
Full recap video with post-game interviews from Tommy Tenuta & Max Lopez in below video!
SEPT. 4 RESULTS:
Max Lopez scored two goals (including the game-winner in the 9') & Sam Drablos and Zachary Pierce added two more scores late in the game to help the Maroons shutout Knox on Labor Day.
- Zachary Pierce netted his first career goal in the 86' via an assist from freshman Ben Brandt.
- Senior goalkeeper Hill Bonin recorded his first shutout of the year with three saves. In 55 starts. he has a whopping 26 shutouts (47 percent!)
The Maroon women's team opened the 2017 season with a victory, capturing the team title at the University of St. Francis Invitational on Sept. 1 at Chanhannon Community Park.
- Senior Khia Kurtenbach was the second overall finisher, crossing the line in 17 minutes, 37 seconds.
- The Maroons had FOUR runners in the top 10: Kelsey Dunn (sixth), Claire Costelloe (eighth) and Claire Brockway (ninth).
The Maroon Men's XC team put together a strong showing at the USF Twilight Meet, taking second place behind great races from several rookie runners.
- Freshman Ryan Cutter was the top overall finisher for the men, recording a 5K time of 15:29, good for sixth place.
- Fellow freshman Jordan Olson was close behind in eighth in 15:37.6. Junior Jacob Gosselin (15:40.3) and sophomore Ralph Patejunas (15:43.9) took ninth and 10th, respectively.
- Saturday, Sept. 9: UChicago at Wisconsin-Parkside Open, 10 am CT
- Wednesday, Sept. 6: Concordia (Wis.) at #3 UChicago, 4pm CT, Stagg Field.
- Saturday, Sept. 9: #3 UChicago at Illinois Wesleyan, 11am CT
The #3-ranked UChicago Women's Soccer team captured wins over Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (3-1) and #10 Pomona-Pitzer (3-0) in California to open 2017 with a bang.
- Adrianna Vera notched two goals over the weekend & rookies Katie Jasminski & Bri Fadden recorded their first goals of their careers.
- Sophomore keeper Katie Donovan picked up both victories for the Maroons.
- Jenna McKinney & Hannah Watkins also recorded goals for UChicago.
The Maroons started strong in their season opener against Case Western Reserve with an first-quarter, 14-0 lead, but saw the second half momentum shift to the Spartans in a 34-14 loss Saturday, Sept. 2.
- Campbell Garrett went 12-25 with 117 yards, a TD and 2 INTS in his first career start at quarterback.
- Ben Christenson led the defense with 10 total tackles, including three for loss.
- Jamie Rieger had four catches for 38 yards, Andrew Falk had two catches for 51 yards and Dante Nepa brought in three catches for 22 yards, including a TD in the first quarter.
- Chandler Carroll led UChicago on the ground, rushing for 52 yards on 17 carries including a 9-yard TD run.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 9: UChicago at Washington-St. Louis, Noon
- Saturday, Sept. 9: Gargoyle Classic at UChicago (Ratner Athletics Center)
- UChicago vs Carthage, 12p CT / UChicago vs. Dominican (Ill.), 5p CT
The Maroons' volleyball squad opened 2017 with a strong start, going 3-1 at the St. Mary's Sugar Loaf Classic Sept. 1-2 in Winona, Minn.
SEPT 1 RESULTS:
UChicago 3, Luther 2 / Minnesota-Morris 3, UChicago 2
- UChicago Stat Leaders vs. Luther: Audrey Scrafford (Jr.) – 19 kills; Sarah Muisenga (Jr.) – 19 kills, 13 digs; Anabella Pinton (So.) – 18 digs, 11 kills; Allison Muisenga (Fr.) – 30 assists
- UChicago Stat Leaders vs UM-Morris: Anabella Pinton (So.) – 14 kills, 12 digs; Sarah Muisenga (Jr.) – 14 kills, 11 digs; Emma Griffith (Fr.) – 35 assists, 14 digs; Audrey Scrafford (Jr.) – 12 kills
SEPT. 2 RESULTS
UChicago 3, Wisconsin-Stout 2 / UChicago 3, Ripon 0
- UChicago Stat Leaders vs UW-Stout: Audrey Scrafford (Jr.) – 24 kills; Sarah Muisenga (Jr.) – 10 kills, 14 digs; Anabella Pinton (So.) – 12 kills, 17 digs; Emma Griffith (Fr.) – 51 assists, 11 digs; Anne Marie Stifter (So.) – 27 digs
- UChicago Stat Leaders vs Ripon: Anabella Pinton (So.) – 11 kills; Sarah Muisenga (Jr.) – 9 kills; Anne Marie Stifter (So.) – 19 digs; Allison Muisenga (Fr.) – 35 assists; Frances McDonald (Sr.) – 17 digs