Summary of What Should Happen
In my experiment I will be doing a purple cabbage juice acid base indicator. The purpose of this experiment is to test 7 different liquids to see if they are acidic or if it is a base. The cabbage juice can be an alternative if you do not have indicator paper at home.
Relevant Chemistry Concept
1.) The concept of this experiment is to determine the acidity levels of various liquids. In the 7 trials I will be conducting, I will mix the cabbage solution with the 7 separate test liquid. You will see a color change and you will know if it is acidic because the color of the liquid will turn a bright pink/light red. But if the color of the two solutions make a maroon/blue color than that means that it is a base.
2.) The demonstration shows this concept of differing acidity levels based upon the color changes when you mix the test liquid and the cabbage solution together. My reasoning behind why the acidic liquids turn the solution a pink/red color is because it is more of an acidic liquid. You will know if it's an acid because you can use a pH scale to determine that 1 - 6.9 on the pH scale are considered acids. In the middle of the pH scale is 7. That number is called a neutral where it is not an acid or a base. Then 7.1 - 14 are called bases.
- coffee filter
- 7 clear cups (so people can see the color of the liquid change)
- purple cabbage
- medium mixing bowl cup to catch the filtered cabbage solution
- Tap water
- The first step in the demonstration is to gather all of your supplies so you can begin.
- The second step is to add 4 cups of warm distilled water into a blender with 2 red cabbage leaves and then blend.
- The third step is to place a coffee filter inside of a funnel, and drain any excess cabbage out of the solution and into a bowl.
- Next, now that you have your cabbage solution you will pour about 1/4 of the cabbage solution into 7 clear cups.
- Lastly, once you have the cabbage solution into all of the clear cups then you can start you experiment by testing all of the 7 different liquids to see which are acidic based or if it is a weak base.