1. Beijing is the capital of the People’s Republic of China. Bei means northern, and jing means capital. Beijing literally means the north capital.
2. Beijing is the center of the nation’s politics and international exchanges, and it is also China’s second largest city after Shanghai.
3. Mandarin is the official language in China, and it is mostly based on the Beijing dialect. Learn more about the Chinese language
4. The cuisine in Beijing is known as Jing Cuisine, and the popular dishes include Hot and Sour Soup, Moo Shu Pork, and Peking Duck, which is a roast duck sliced in a very specific way.
5. The chrysanthemum and the Chinese rose are Beijing’s official flowers.
6. Beijing is considered to be the bicycle capital of the world because there are a lot of parking lots dedicated to bikes alone.
7. Beijing opera or Peking opera, a traditional form of Chinese theater, is an important part of the Chinese culture. This art form consists of a combination of song, spoken dialogue, and codified action sequences. People practice their opera singing at parks around the city as well as in opera houses.
Beijing host the 2008 Summer Olympics games with an official logo “Dancing Beijing.” Also, the Chinese athletes won the most gold medals in the 2008 Olympics.
The Forbidden City (the huge palace of the Ming and Qing dynasties) consists of 800 buildings, and it is a very popular place for tourists.
The history sites in Beijing include the Great Wall, Tienanmen Square (largest city square in the world), and the Forbidden City.
Beijing is home to the world's longest wall.
Beijing's Forbidden City is the largest palace in the world
Beijing is, obviously, the best place to try the famous Beijing duck.
Beijing's most popular souvenirs include calligraphy brushes and ink pads.
Beijing was the capital of 6 notable dynasties and governments
Beijing will be the first city to host both the Summer and Winter Olympics.
Beijing Municipality has a population of almost 20 million people.
Breathing Beijing's air for six average days is the equivalent of smoking one cigarette
The best time to visit Beijing is May or October.
Beijing Capital International Airport is the second busiest airport in the world.
China's official language is mostly based on the Beijing Dialect
Wang is the most popular surname in the city
Beijing is one of the bicycle capitals of the world
Beijing is the second largest city in China
Beijing was the 16th name given to the city