Vegan Lifestyle By: Makayla Margosian
A vegan is a person who does not eat or use animal products. This is a lifestyle for people who choose to avoid using any types of animal products. Being a vegan benefits animal lives and it can provide benefits to your own health.
Being vegan has the potential to save around 200 animals per year, 1.3 million gallons of water, and 1.5 tons of carbon dioxide
People choose to be vegans for health and environmental reasons. Many vegans want to try their best to promote and create a more caring world through not killing innocent animals.
Vitamin b12 is naturally found in animal products, so vegans should take a b12 supplement and eat b12 fortified foods. Vitamin b12 keeps the body's nerve and blood cells, and makes DNA.
You might need an iron supplement because vegan diets contain non heme iron which is not as quickly absorbed by the body so you might need more iron. You can also get iron from dark greens, legumes, and sunflower seeds.
The best sources of vegan protein are natural soy, lentils, different types of beans, quinoa, and seitan. Make sure not to trade meat for unhealthy packaged foods because they lack proper nutrients and have little nutritional value while foods like fruits, vegetables, and beans are packed with essential nutrients. Soy based products are still highly processed so make sure to read the labels and eat other forms of more natural protein.
There are vegan options on several restaurant menus, just tell your waiter about dietary restrictions. There are different apps and websites like veganrestaurantfinder.com you can use.
You can save a lot of money by going vegan, and you can save more by using some frozen vegetables instead of fresh vegetables.
Make sure to eat a lot of calcium rich foods such as kale, almonds, oranges, and soybeans.
1) Make sure to give yourself extra time in order to cook good nutritious meals. Give yourself enough time to plan your meal and to cook the meal.
2) Always keep your pantry full of nutritious options and produce. Make sure your pantry stays full of vegan staples like all types of beans, several vegetables, several fruits, and grains like brown rice, oats, and quinoa.
3) Cook your own food, do not buy pre made vegan meals often. The vegan frozen foods like pizza and burritos are not very good for you and they do not have many great nutrients. You should make your own meals which will be delicious and full of all the nutrients you need as well as full of all the foods you love.
4) Always keep extra food with you, keep nutritious and healthy snacks. Make sure you have food in case you are hungry so that you will be able to eat the right foods rather than have to buy unhealthy foods that you would not otherwise.
5) You can still eat out at restaurants. Choose restaurants that have vegan options that you prefer and there are even websites and apps that will find vegan restaurants in the area so that you don't have to worry about what you are eating.
6) Find a good milk substitute that you like. Find the brand that you like and the types of non dairy milks you like and then keep that in your fridge. You can choose from several brands like silk, almond breeze, and Trader Joe's brand. There are several different types of non dairy milk like coconut milk, soy milk, cashew milk, and almond milk.
7) Make meals that will give you leftovers. This is so that you will have something in the fridge in case you do not have the time to make something from scratch one night or one day. You will still have a delicious, nutritious meal from the day before.
8) If necessary seek out a nutritionist who will make sure that you are getting all of the necessary vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. They will help you to maintain a healthy, balanced diet as you explore the world of being a vegan! They also have many tips that will help you on your journey.
9) Drink a lot of water! This goes for all diets, so it also goes with vegan diets. Water is essential to our bodies and it also helps our digestive system. Make sure to drink several glasses of water a stay to stay hydrated and keep your body happy.
10) Go to snacks when you are hungry include nuts and seeds. Eating raw and unsalted nuts and seeds is best and will give your body the most nutritional benefits.