Minutes 4/3/17 Secretary, Kara DOnovan

  • Invocation given by Senator Brock
  • Pledge of allegiance
  • Roll call by Secretary Donovan
  • Senators Bolick, DuBro, Hines, Reinker, and Ruday were absent

Presentation, Saavon Smalls

  • Chief Editor of The Tiger
  • Goals for the year: focus on outlook and topics relating more directly to students, recruitment retention, more engaged with students & audiences
  • Task for CUSG: focus on diversity and inclusion

Presentation, President Emeritus Barker

  • IK: What would you say to someone graduating from Clemson?
  • JB: First congratulations, and take whatever Clemson is with you and make it yours. It's a continuation more so than a transition
  • BS: Thoughts on an honor statement?
  • JB: Process is vital, a terrific idea but up to the students what it should include. Make it unique like Clemson
  • PG: How do you see the future of Clemson?
  • JB: Extremely positive. An important question is how big should Clemson be? Have to maintain slow growth and find the point where Clemson isn't Clemson anymore
  • KS: Move to exhaust speaker's list
  • AM: What has been the greatest challenge?
  • JB: When tradition sometimes overpowers change
  • BD: Why did you decide to become a professor after?
  • JB: I feel like I really am a teacher, and knew I wanted to end my career in that way

Academic Affairs, Shreya Shankar

  • Chair Transition Complete
  • Why you should join Academic Affairs
  • Past Projects: Drop-in Research Spotlight, RA Compensation Project, Major/Minor Fair, Career Center Webpage, Open Access Resources, “Your Voice”
  • Best committee ever. We’re going to become a family.
  • Committee members to be assigned soon!!!!
  • Projects:
  • TA of the Semester
  • Extending hours in the dining halls for study purposes
  • Lunch with a professor
  • TA Fairness
  • Expanding and Clarifying Undergraduate Research Opportunities
  • Any ideas you have!!!
  • Contact Information:
  • (843)-260-4372
  • shanka2@g.clemson.edu
  • Living Quarters: Core Campus Building C, room 552B
  • Twitter/Insta: @ShreyaTheSlaya
  • Snapchat: @ssrocks

Athletics, Josh Hutchinson

  • Updates
  • Planning to meet with Athletics Admin about ticketing proposal
  • Projects
  • Ticketing policy proposal
  • Ideas for AA
  • Text or Call me anytime
  • Contact Info
  • Josh Hutchinson | 803-727-3854 | jhutch4@g.clemson.edu

Campus Life, Jacob Livingston

  • Updates this week
  • Fully transitioned with Robert Lee and then beat him in trivia in the Pursuit
  • Beginning to plan for OCHF (location and date)
  • Meeting with Kathy Hobgood, Amanda Finch, and other key administrators within the next week
  • Meeting with potential committee members this week, would love to chat with anyone who wants to talk Campus Life
  • Happy Pride Week! Go to an event if you can. Or two. Or ten. Or at least the drag show. But definitely the drag show.
  • “Friends are people who know you really well and like you anyway.” jwlivin@clemson.edu | (843) 855-2516 | SC: @jacobsayshi | Twitter/Insta: @jacob_livvy
  • Committee Member Updates
  • Coming soon next week (!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!)

Finance & Procedures, Miller Hoffman

  • Legislation:
  • 1 Cabinet Appointment bill
  • 2 Non-operational funding
  • 1 Operational funding
  • 1 Emergency funding
  • Activity:
  • Continuing to work on Cabinet appointments (you'll see next Monday)
  • Consider F&P!
  • We handle:
  • Cabinet appointments
  • Amendments to the bylaws
  • Work closely with funding board and student orgs
  • As well as so much more!
  • Please contact me with any questions or conversation (803) 412-5983 mhoffm5@gmail.com

Health & Human Services, Madison Gregoris

  • Health and Human Services
  • Updates:
  • Meeting with the brilliant and incredible Ms. Jessica Schnorr to finish transitioning HHS chair
  • PLEASE (!!!) come talk to me if you think you might want to join the Hottest Hellraisers in Senate
  • It's Pride Week - events are going on all week, flyer is on the bottom of my report
  • Come with me to the drag show
  • Chance the Rapper donated another $1 million to Chicago Public Schools this week, if you wanna talk about this or anything else:
  • 3155592066, mjgrego@g.clemson.edu, SC: @madisonj315
  • HHS Projects:
  • Women’s health
  • Mental health
  • Alcohol awareness and safety
  • Inclusivity
  • Sexual health
  • Sustainable efforts
  • Anything you're passionate about

Transportation & Facilities, Patrick Gorospe

  • Contact info:
  • pgorosp@g.clemson.edu
  • Fb: /heyitsmepatg
  • Twitter/Insta: @heyitsmepatg
  • LinkedIn: /in/patrickgorospe

University Services, Mikey Summers

  • Contact Info:
  • Phone: (864)328-7441
  • Email: mrsumme@clemson.edu
  • Facebook
  • Insta revival in progress
  • New Senators
  • US is an incubator for innovation on campus
  • ITSAB
  • Allocates $500,000 each year toward student lead projects
  • Incubator for incredible projects on campus
  • Currently looking for interested senators
  • Develop closer ties to DEN, Spiro Institute for Entrepreneurship, and Innovation Campuses
  • CI Student Advisory Board
  • Opportunity to improve undergraduate research, a true distinguishing characteristic of clemson!
  • NIMS
  • Most unique and groundbreaking project currently on campus.
  • Flexible tinkering and collaboration space
  • We The Tigers
  • PawPoints in Death Valley
  • Panera Bread on Campus

Clerk, Jack Council

  • Professionalism
  • Questions
  • Spring Retreat
  • Contact info:
  • (704)-488-3242
  • jcounci@g.clemson.edu
  • Snapchat: @jack_council
  • Insta: @jackcouncil

Secretary, Kara Donovan

  • Committee survey
  • Please fill out tonight or tomorrow so I can do the committees as soon as possible
  • Reminder to let me know ahead of time if you will be missing Senate or a Senate-related event
  • Taking care of card access
  • Contact info:
  • (410)-220-7220
  • donova3@g.clemson.edu
  • Insta: @kara710
  • Twitter: @kdon710

Pro Temp, Steven Patrick

  • Spring retreat
  • Sunday April 9th; 2017 2:00pm-5:00pm; outdoor lab
  • Do the google form
  • Share the mileage and carpool plz
  • Consider Driving

President, Leland Dunwoodie

  • Shoutouts: Jay Sridharan, Jack Council, Miller Hoffman
  • Updates:
  • Beau Schelble
  • Social media + Transparency
  • Contact Download
  • Steering Action Steps:
  • Professionalism + Welcoming
  • Leland Dunwoodie | 269-759-4768 | ldunwoo@g.clemson.edu | @lelanddunwoodie

Vice President, Jaren Stewart

  • Contact info:
  • (858)-500-6354
  • jarens@g.clemson.edu
  • Snapchat: jaren.j
  • Insta: @unclej

New Business

Senate Bill 1

  • Purpose: To approve the following appointments to the 2017-2018 President’s Cabinet
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Sponsors: Killian McDonald & Emma Hume
  • MR: Experience of Nikhil?
  • EH: Treasurer of 2 organizations, experience in bookkeeping
  • PG: Executive secretary?
  • MH: Finance director is a permanent position and a time-urgent appointment
  • EH: Role of executive secretary will fall under finance director
  • MG: Distinction between finance director and treasurer?
  • EH: Finance director is more internal within CUSG, while treasurer deals with funding board & is more external
  • CJ: Describe role of funding board?
  • MH: Responsible for allocating student activity fee
  • EH: Funding board allocates, Senate approves
  • BD: Move to suspend rules and send this bill into 2nd read
  • MR: Objection- want to ask another question
  • Still in first read
  • MR: Why was someone with more experience not chosen
  • EH: Not just the interview, got opinions from many people, and Connor has the most experience running funding board and has been at every meeting
  • TM: Move to suspend rules and send this bill into 2nd read
  • CJ: Con- call to question
  • Authors waive last rights
  • Bill passes

Senate Bill 2

  • Purpose: To approve the recommended non-operational appropriations
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • PS: What are clubs spending money on?
  • MH: Certain things can & can't be funded, various restrictions such as hotel and gas, can't spend money on anything other than what is approved, on a receipt basis to get reimbursed
  • JS: Point of information- is it not true that everyone can go to funding board
  • JL: Clarify where money comes from?
  • MH: Student activity fee
  • MR: Cut for Flying Tigers?
  • MH: We see them a lot and are trying to get them to be more self-funded, a large portion of request was for new polo shirts & patches
  • PG: Are the budget sheets public?
  • MH: Intend to make them public but have not done so yet, feel free to come to funding board on Wednesday nights
  • PG: Limit for hotel rates?
  • MH: Limit of $40 a night regardless of what hotel or where, requires organization to do some fundraising or find other sources of funding
  • JH: Move to send this bill back to F&P

Senate Bill 3

  • Purpose: To approve the recommended operational appropriations
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • IK: What is CU Smile?
  • MH: Their goal is to do random acts of kindness on campus
  • CJ: Move to send this bill back to F&P

Senate Bill 4

  • Purpose: To approve the recommended non-operational appropriations
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • PS: Move to send this bill back to F&P
  • JL: Objection- friendly amendment
  • Still in first read
  • MPS: Friendly amendment to change 2016/2017 to 2017/2018
  • Author accepts
  • PS: Move to send this bill back to F&P

Senate Bill 5

  • Purpose: To approve the recommended emergency appropriations
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • MP: Why weren't they fully funded?
  • MH: Only 1 member is going, and hotel adjustment
  • LU: Move to send this bill into 2nd read
  • JS: Objection- friendly amendment
  • Still in first read
  • JS: Friendly amendment to change 2016/2017 to 2017/2018
  • Author accepts
  • LU: Move to send this bill into 2nd read
  • PT: Con- move to call this bill to question
  • Waive last rights
  • Bill passes

Announcements

  • MS: Check out the food summit
  • TM: my.Clemson app looking for interns, check on Clemson Joblink
  • PG: Drag show this Saturday
  • BS: AXO philanthropy concert April 12th
  • EH: Card access coming this week
  • MS: Let me know if you're interested in ITSAB
  • JS: CU SAGA proceeds night at Chipotle on Thursday
  • JC: Gospel choir concert April 9, gospel@g.clemson.edu
  • CM: Going to work to make funding board more transparent & accessible
  • JL: International festival this Sunday right before Spring retreat
  • JS: 50th anniversary rugby game this Saturday at 11am against Dartmouth

CS: move to adjourn

Created By
Kara Donovan
Appreciate

Credits:

Created with images by mblouir - "Reflection Pond" • InspiredVision - "Tillman Paw" • Matthew Townsend - "20020103002927-2" • jill111 - "stack of books vintage books book" • Sweet Carolina Photography - "CU vs. Duke 2008 - Dabo & the Tigers" • Daria-Yakovleva - "background frame food" • TBIT - "dollar bank note money" • www.metaphoricalplatypus.com - "Bikes" • mebner1 - "printer 3d making"

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.