1. The border conflict in which Dana took arose from tensions between Mexico and the United States.
2. Many Mexicans were unhappy about the annexation in Texas.
3. The conflict between the U.S. and Mexico was not new.
4. In November or 1845 President James K. Polk sent John Slidell to Mexico to settle disputes.
5. Some 6,000 Texans volunteered to fight in the U.S.-Mexican War.
6. Juan Johnston was a veteran in the Texas Revolution.
7. Several of the Texas Rangers who joined the U.S. forces, served as scouts.
8. Hays and McCulloch were recognized for their leadership and bravery.
9. General Taylor threatened to throw the Rangers in jail.
10. Offensive-a major troop advance.