Definition of a Gifted & Talented Student
- Performs at, or shows the potential for performing at, a remarkably high level of accomplishment when compared to others of the same age, experience, or environment.
- Exhibits high performance capability in an intellectual, creative, or artistic area.
- Possesses an unusual capacity for leadership
- Excels in a specific academic field
- A student may be nominated to be tested for the Gifted and Talented program by a teacher, parent, counselor, administrator or other interested persons.
- Qualitative measurements such as parent & teacher questionnaires are used for screening purposes.
- Quantitative assessments such as Torrance, NNAT3, and IOWA/Logramos are also used to identify students for the Gifted and Talented program.
Parents are notified, in writing, if their child qualifies or does not qualify for the Gifted and Talented Program. Written permission from the parent is obtained before a student is placed in the program. Participation in the Gifted and Talented Program is voluntary. If a student does not qualify, they may retest within twelve months.
Pull Out/ Inclusion Program
Students identified as Gifted and Talented will be pulled out of their regular classrooms once per week during scheduled PE time to work on projects in the core subject areas of Math, Science, Social Studies, and Language Arts. Students will also receive differentiated instruction in their classrooms throughout the entire school year by their classroom teacher.
Students working on a project during Team Quest
Adventures in Learning - Team Quest
This is an academic competition which challenges Gifted and Talented students in areas of engineering, mathematics, creativity and team work. Each year our Presa students compete in person and have done an excellent job in demonstrating team strategy, creative design, construction & building, logic & higher level thinking and real life problem solving. Last year, the theme was Archaeology- unearthing the Past. We had a team that qualified to district and then to regionals. They placed second in the regional competition which qualified them for Finals.
Our team took 2nd place for Team Quest Regionals
Last school year a field trip, with the students from Lancaster Elementary, was planned. Arrangements were made to attend the DinoTracks Tours by the Insights El Paso Science Center. Students would learn about aquatic/marine fossils, fossil formation and geologic history.
Engage Me Showcase
This is a yearly event that takes place in the month of May. The showcase is a time for all students, especially GT students, to celebrate their talents. Students bring projects they have created throughout the school year and display them. These projects are created using the Texas Performance Standards, or using their Chromebooks. Parents, students and community members are invited to view the projects.
Ysleta ISD Mission
All students who enroll in our schools will graduate from high school, fluent in two or more languages, prepared and inspired to continue their education in a four year college, university or institution of higher education so that they become successful citizens in their community.
Presa Elementary Mission Statement
All students attending Presa Elementary school will be provided with a high-quality education. By embracing their individual, physical, emotional, and intellectual needs, they will be inspired to become lifelong learners who contribute to their community.