Problem Statement: Given the time period until seniors graduate, our group of three will create a functioning and stable Go kart. Our Go kart will be produced from materials given and any materials purchased under a $25 group budget. This Go kart will be powered by an 18V drill to cause acceleration, which will be operated with a throttle through a string pulling system. With acceleration, there must be deceleration so a brake system will be made using a similar string pulling system to allow the vehicle reach a safe stop. In order to support the weight of group member we will create the body/frame of the Go kart from ¾in plywood. We will use PVC piping connected to a piece of plywood, attached the axles and wheels that will create a steering mechanism that will allow our Go Kart to turn and have traction with the ground. Finally to add literal bells and whistles, we will use Arduino to program the inputs and outputs.
This Go Kart was used as reference for our initial sketches because of the interactions of the drill and the gears. The drill has a direct relation to the spinning of the chain, giving us some inspiration for our designs.
Information about torque vs speed is a crucial aspect as to the design of our project. By taking into suggestion which kinds of gears we must use, we can determine how well we will perform in the various trial courses.
This front view sketch is used to highlight the mechanisms that we plan on using to turn the front axel and the acceleration pedal and its connection to the back wheel. The use of the squiggly lines helps to show exactly where the use of a cable or cord would be.
The side view show above gives a more accurate scale of where the parts of our kart will be positioned. The seat is mounted near the back axel in order to get more pressure down on the back wheel to increase torque. The labels also show where we have the drill and pedal placed.
This top view has measurements included in order to give a birds eye perspective as to the true dimensions of what we plan on building. We have measured a body sitting down and came to these conclusions about how large certain parts should be.
Since the pieces were slightly too tight to fit into the mortis and tenon joint so we had to shave some of the wood down on the bandsaw. By doing so we were able to then fit them into the slots appropriated for the seat.
In this picture we were successful in getting some of the joints to fit, but some of them required further manipulation to ensure a tight and stable fit without risk of damaging our project.
In this image, all the joints are fitted together and secure to the base piece on the ground. From here we begin working around the completed piece to add the brakes, axels, steering, etc.
After the completion of our seat, we began to drill a hole in the frame to put the steering column in place using PVC pipe. This will be the connection to the axles to turn our go kart.
The mechanism, held by me, is what we used to create our axle. The bar going across the wood is where the wheels reside where they spin in place along the metal.
We managed to fit our front wheels on by securing the axle with a bolt going through both, secured by a nut and washer.
In our previous class, the back wheels were secured to the frame. The next step is to connect a gear and the drill in order to make the axle rotate to create speed.