Loading

Minutes 10/2/17 Senate Secretary, Kara Donovan

  • Call to order
  • Invocation by Senator Brock & Moment of Silence
  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Roll Call
  • Senators Webb, Thompson, Weaver, Tilley, and Richard were found absent
  • Approval of the Minutes
Presentation by Several Student Homecoming Representatives
  • Goal of making Homecoming a more cohesive event
  • Working together across various organizations
  • Stop by the build anytime throughout this week to show support
  • This week is also NPHC week
  • Night of the Tiger on Friday put on by Tiger Paw Productions
Presentation by the Values Committee
  • AJ Miller: Chair of Values Statement Task Force
  • Rachel Reid: member of the values statement task force
  • Set in motion by former Student Body President Joey Wilson
  • Collaborative time between CUSG & GSG
Presentation by Provost Bob Jones
  • $300-400 million budget per year
  • Working towards goal of becoming a top 20 public university
  • Forestry graduate of Clemson
  • Growing in diversity of student body & faculty
  • Record number of donations coming in to the university
  • Trying to bring research and graduate studies to the same level as undergraduate studies
  • BB: how are we trying to maintain family atmosphere at Clemson while also continuing to grow?
  • BJ: strategic enrollment management plan in place that deals with recruiting, number of students to admit, etc., decided to slow growth down in order to sustain quality and have time to grow the university with the student body, ideally 2% per year or less with a target of around 22,000 undergraduates within 10 years
  • SP: move to open the gallery
  • MH: as we grow, how do we maintain the strong faculty to student ratio?
  • BJ: currently a very high priority, around 17.8/17.9 to 1, would like to push that number down to 17 or even 16, striving to maintain the average small class size
  • PS: future direction of undergraduate curriculum?
  • BJ: 1 component is the general education side which we will continue to have, but are looking at re-envisioning a gen ed program that is more unique to Clemson; in terms of majors we are doing a thorough study on the majors offered currently and looking to see what majors need to be added, as well as student success in individual majors- likely may eliminate majors with very low enrollment and add majors more relevant to jobs of the future
  • MS: research reputation has been improving, but how can we balance that growth in research with a continued commitment to undergraduate learning?
  • BJ: continuing to emphasize both because success in research attracts the best faculty, who then can engage with undergraduates in the classroom and the labs, can also increase private donations when your research program grows
  • MS: what are you all doing for undergraduate research/the future there?
  • BJ: we try to reward undergraduate research, also trying to get more funding for newer resources that can be applied to undergraduate research, we want this out-of-classroom learning to continue growing for undergraduates
  • SP: numbers/stats used to judge progress toward stated goals?
  • BJ: we have 10-year targets in the strategic plan (4 components of plan)
  • Research- research expenditures, publications & citations, and how much is being asked for in grant proposals by faculty
  • Engagement
  • Academic core- grow doctoral program from about 200 to about 300
  • Living- diversity of undergrads and diversity of faculty
  • JC: exact percentage of faculty that are in minority groups?
  • BJ: 15% underrepresented minority groups
  • PG: concern for sustainability- can you speak to the sustainability goals of the university?
  • BJ: working with the other executive vice president in achieving this goal, both of us are people of the land & know what needs to be done to take the university in a responsible direction environmentally; an incremental process in working towards end goal, looking into things such as new transportation plans, solar energy projects in Clemson forest, etc.
  • PG: regarding general education, do you foresee a design-your-own major program?
  • BJ: failed at Virginia Tech while I was there, often plans like this do fail; I personally love the idea but it does come with costs as well as opportunities
  • JL: CU 1000 seems to be a recurring topic of debate, changes for next year?
  • BJ: CU 1000 is not a course in my opinion, more of an effort to aid in the transition process to the university; I think we have big problems with respect in our student population, looking towards ways to follow up on that & build mutual respect
  • JL: direct changes that have been made regarding CU 1000?
  • Sue: introduce students to common standards & values of Clemson community, as well as learning about others; community dialogue has changed dramatically- now focused on helping students learn about Clemson’s core values, understand that we have our own social identities and others can identify in other ways, and understand the difference between debate & dialogue; a module added to CU 1000 about academic advising
  • FP: where do you see CUSG as a body working with you in the Clemson Forward plan?
  • BJ: having regular discussions among leadership in CUSG and the administration, faculty & administrators can get into a habit of assuming things about students, important to talk to leadership quickly when we hit roadblocks
  • IK: have you considered keeping tuition set for 4 years when a student is admitted as a freshman?
  • BJ: looking at markets and who is getting what kind of degree, possibly keeping costs with the majors they are associated with- such as charging more to nursing or engineering majors, etc., median debt Clemson students have is $0, average cost for entering freshmen is half the sticker price; working on building private dollars for scholarships and building endowment
  • IK: considered hiring new faculty who also have experience in the workforce?
  • BJ: exactly what we’re trying to do, it’s a culture change in some departments
  • KV: smaller majors could be transitioned or eliminated, would those majors be transitioned to something more applicable or eliminated?
  • BJ: more of a transition, looking at low enrollment majors already, usually every major is there for a good reason, but considering modifying things to have a more modern profile; but still maintaining our standing as a comprehensive university
  • RR: expansion of students with a lack of building space for those new students?
  • BJ: working with brand new Dean of Science to look into this, especially with existing lab space, about to embark on a massive academic building project- new business school, new building for chemistry/chemical engr/materials science & engr, gut Daniel Hall and re-work that whole space for research, engagement, etc.
  • PH: what efforts are we taking to continue recruiting underrepresented faculty members?
  • BJ: developing plans for building robust pools, eliminating personal bias, personally recruiting, inviting underrepresented groups to come work at Clemson as a postdoc; mentoring & retention a very important focus
Academic Affairs, Shreya Shankar
  • Shoutout to driving for retreat!!!
  • Working on Academics cheat sheet for new freshman
  • Talking to R and D about cheaper transcripts.
  • Sending out survey to humanities majors about feedback of research opportunities.
  • Killian and I will be meeting with Neil Burton from the Career center to discuss increasing professional development resources, and then begin assembling team of those who have expressed interest in working on the project
  • Tremaine will be reaching out and conducting research to see what exact issues ROTC students and student veterans are having with registration times.
  • Mar and Madison to reach out to Kathy Hobgood, director of housing, to discuss printers on all residence halls.
  • Meet with Academic Advising Committee to discuss Major/Minor fair to be held in the Spring
  • CU Drop in Research Spotlight
  • Please submit graphic designs for CUDIRS banner to email below
  • Contacting companies to buy podium
  • Looking for professors who want to present research; submit names if you know anyone
  • Matt looking to get food trucks behind the library for finals week.
  • Kathleen wants to work on having students reach out to local schools to encourage them on education
  • Exploring expansion of undergraduate research opportunities
  • Unified database of research opportunities in every College
  • Going with Dr. Griffin to talk to undergraduate associate deans about undergraduate research fair
  • Contact info:
  • Shreya Shankar
  • 843-260-4372
  • shanka2@clemson.edu
  • @shreyatheslaya
Athletics, Josh Hutchinson
  • Updates:
  • Athletics Updates:
  • GT Ticketing distribution is moved due to fall break
  • Wednesday, October 18th: Collegiate Club - 5 p.m. / Graduate Students - 7:30 p.m.
  • Thursday, October 19th: Seniors - 5 p.m. / Juniors - 7:30 p.m.
  • Friday, October 20th: Sophomores - 5 p.m. / Freshman - 7:30 p.m.
  • Software meeting coming soon
  • Rachel and Izzy are working on Penalty for selling tickets
  • Email going out soon to inform students of the penalty
  • Appeal process will go through Janay/Supreme Court for short term
  • Work with OCES and Judicial to revise code of conduct and implementation for the future
  • Investigating method for student-led new software system—Katie
  • Camping is NOT a viable ticketing distribution option due to safety concerns
  • Campus Rec Updates:
  • Constituency report going well—August, Katelyn, Banner, and Morgan are working on this
  • Projects:
  • A. Penalty for selling tickets—Rachel and Izzy
  • B. Campus Rec Constituency report—August, Katelyn, Banner, and Morgan
  • C. Ticketing Software updates—AJ and myself
  • D. Future Software project—Katie
  • Contact Info:
  • Josh Hutchinson | 803-727-3854 | jhutch4@g.clemson.edu
Campus Life, Jacob Livingston
  • Updates this Week:
  • Continuing student housing contracts start THIS WEEK! If you’re living on campus next year, make sure you sign your contract by October 19th!
  • The Off-Campus Housing Fair will no longer be an absence make-up. See Secretary Donovan for other absence make-up opportunities.
  • Thank you to everyone who attended the first Multicultural Dining Hall Day! Stay tuned for the next to come in November.
  • New advertising for Laundry Alerts going out soon, send me your feedback!
  • Catch Carly & Emily Anne tabling on Library Bridge for TigerFlix!
  • Jade? More like DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH amirite? Homecoming QUEEN 24/7, 365, royalty grind NeVeR stops. Everyone send her those V O T E S, you better BOW DOWNNNN. | jwlivin@clemson.edu | (843) 855-2516 | SC: @jacobsayshi | Twitter/Insta: @jacob_livvy
Finance & Procedures, Miller Hoffman
  • Legislation:
  • Second Read
  • Non-operational funding
  • Operational funding
  • First Read
  • Elections bylaws amendments
  • Updates:
  • Legislative bylaws amendments coming soon
  • Shoutout to B, Perrin, SP, & Driving for putting on Retreat
  • Welcome back Lindsey and Emma!
  • “No horseplay around the water.”
  • mhoffm5@g.clemson.edu / 803-412-5983
Health & Human Services, Madison Gregoris
  • Updates:
  • Had a meeting Friday (9/29) with Dr. Miller, Dr. Lee Gill, Ms. Altheia and other student representatives to discuss where Clemson is at in the securing of an LGBTQIA+ space on campus
  • Resolution passed last semester
  • Privilege walk at retreat
  • Shameless Ms. Perrin Hines plug
  • Hope it was a learning activity for everyone
  • Tampon receptacles in all-women on-campus housing
  • Looking to set up a meeting with myself, Aliyah and Kathy Hobgood this week or next to discuss options
  • Aubrey already has proposal written up for installing at least one more printer in the Shoeboxes
  • Exploring ITSAB funding
  • Awesome work
  • Deadline to apply to be a Peer Dialogue Facilitator - Tuesday 10/10
  • https://www.clemson.edu/centers-institutes/gantt/multicultural-engagement/index.html#peer
  • Clemson Against Drunk Driving (CADD) Campaign
  • Meeting with Ms. Crystal Fulmer (Healthy Campus) sometime this week or early next
  • Confirmed Waterdrop for Friday night downtown
  • Call me/beep me/if you wanna reach me | 3155592066, mjgrego@g.clemson.edu, SC: @madisonj315
Transportation & Facilities, Patrick Gorospe
  • Updates:
  • Hope y’all had fun at retreat!
  • my.Clemson updates
  • Gender neutral bathrooms added
  • Gameday restrooms added, update coming soon
  • Adding mycusg.com soon under Campus Life
  • Projects:
  • Jessica Ruday - exploring game day transit revival
  • Derwin Simpson & Emily Anders - entering into research and benchmarking analysis for nap pods project
  • Monica Rozmann - working with CUPD to explore the possibility of a school-wide active shooter training
  • Upcoming Meetings
  • Dan (weekly)
  • Todd Barnette (bi-weekly)
  • Peter Knudsen (TBD-campus planning)
  • HMU 803-371-0959 | pgorosp@clemson.edu | @heyitsmepatg (coffee, free food, friendship)
University Services, Mikey Summers
  • Peter:
  • Hackathon - contacting Courtney this week
  • Talked to Adam Summer about Your Voice Counts surveys
  • QR Code for Your Voice Counts
  • Geotagging helps bring you to proper survey for your dining location
  • Ashley:
  • Green Crescent Trail Steering Committee
  • Meeting w/ Lucas Anderson (CCD)
  • Re-decking Abernathy Park
  • Volunteer Opportunity
  • Day by day commitment (week-long event)
  • Food for students
  • Maybe bring in a concert or evening activity
  • Need over 100 volunteers
  • Naming rights to new pedestrian bridge
  • Getting kiosks put at major road crossings to support the trail
  • Food Summit
  • Leadership team chosen
  • Catherine:
  • Representative on City Council
  • No word from R&D about city council research
  • Spoke with Lucas Anderson about project
  • Drafted an email to the mayor
  • Thomas:
  • my.Clemson App
  • CUSG will be on the my.Clemson app
  • Tailgate Over Citadel Game
  • Nov. 18 (right before Thanksgiving Break)
  • Potluck style thing in light of thanksgiving
  • Outside Fike on Sunday
  • Looking at a DJ
  • Frank:
  • Remote Desktoping
  • Contact Ryan Real
  • Did some research on Remote Desktoping
  • Good for security - can enforce encryption
  • Lower Cost for some programs
  • Mentorship Programs
  • Greater accessibility for students without cars
  • Beau:
  • Meeting tomorrow at noon for Constituency Report
  • Putting up ads in Freeman, etc for ITSAB Funding
  • Jacob:
  • Alumni Networking
  • Demographics of Senate/CUSG
  • Reporting of statistics
  • Socioeconomic status, gender, race, in-state/out-of-state, etc
  • How does CUSG reflect the changing demographics
  • Jacovia:
  • Incorporating alerts for downed buses, late buses on my.Clemson app
  • Contact Patrick
  • Incorporating TigerOne card paying on
  • Contact Info:
  • Phone: (864) 328-7441
  • Email: mrsumme@clemson.edu
  • Committee Meeting: Mondays 5:30
Clerk, Jack Council
  • CUSG on-campus activities
  • Emailed Colonel Edge for a date for the Scroll of Honor tour- will be October 24 @ 4pm
  • If you ever have any questions or just wanna hang out,
  • 704-488-3242
  • jcounci@g.clemson.edu
  • Snapchat/Insta: @jack_council
Secretary, Kara Donovan
  • Seating Chart
  • Change in absence make-up event
  • Please start making senate a priority! So many people ran for these seats and you all need to put this at the top of your list
  • Points:
  • Funding board (weekly)
  • CUDIRS (weekly)
  • “Sharing with Senate” (weekly)
  • Green Zone Training 10/12
  • Meet the Senators
  • Contact Info:
  • (410) 220-7220 | donova3@g.clemson.edu | Insta: @kara710 | Twitter: @kdon710 | Snapchat: @karadonovan710
Pro Temp, Steven Patrick
  • Fall Retreat
Vice President, Jaren Stewart
  • Update on Clemson Caribbean Initiative- canned goods have been shipped out
  • BGR Project
Senate President, Leland Dunwoodie
  • Steering
  • Joint Senate - seating chart, Homecoming, Provost, Values, meeting with Aury tomorrow
  • Service Project- text someone and tell them they’re great
  • Shoutouts:
  • Driving
  • Multicultural Dining Day
  • Updates:
  • Here for you
  • Steering Action Steps:
  • We are one Steering
  • Committee of the Whole
  • Leland Dunwoodie | 269-759-4768 | ldunwoo@g.clemson.edu | @lelanddunwoodie

Old Business

  • Senate Bill 19
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Purpose: To approve the recommended non-operational appropriations.
  • DS: move to call this bill to question
  • SB 19 passes
  • Senate Bill 20
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Purpose: To approve the recommended operational appropriations.
  • EA: move to call this bill to question
  • SB 20 passes

New Business

  • SB 21
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Sponsors: Emma Schafer & Lindsey Wright
  • Purpose: To update Student Body Elections bylaws of the Judicial Branch to reflect the appropriate changes within the elections process.
  • DK: move to open the gallery
  • JC: is their disciplinary record taken into consideration before running?
  • LW: yes, turned in with their grade report prior to running
  • JC: who is releasing these?
  • ES: decision ultimately left to Dean of Students, OCES, not up to other students
  • SM: organizations are seen as individuals, why isn’t this explicitly stated in the bylaws?
  • LW: treating them hand-in-hand as individuals, elections director will be there 24/7 to go over anything candidates may have questions about
  • SM: why are disciplinary records not required to be released for senate elections?
  • ES: in the interest of time, more focus on SBP and VP because hundreds of people could run for senate, more relevant for the actual student body elections
  • AO: how is giving money not an endorsement of said campaign?
  • LW: trying to determine what can and can’t be regulated, the money will be donated regardless, but essentially trying to manage what can be kept in our control
  • MR: how would people be penalized for stickers, etc. being put up without the candidate’s awareness?
  • ES: would give the candidate an opportunity to go remedy that and take down the sticker, however a campaign is not allowed to claim ignorance of the bylaws as an excuse
  • AM: reason for not being able to distribute at off-campus housing?
  • ES: due to adding that stipulation to get approval for student body elections, don’t want senate elections to start taking that approach as well
  • LW: trying to establish a time and place for elections and avoid sketchy situations, the further it branches out the harder it is to regulate
  • RR: process to fill a place on Platform Review Committee?
  • ES: key is being unbiased as well as knowledgeable on the branch they are serving to replace
  • JS: did you consider $1250 as opposed to $1500?
  • ES: previously, third party donations didn’t count toward budget, but changed that last year so now we wanted to give some leeway with that by increasing to $1500
  • JS: considered releasing financial reports of each campaign?
  • ES: people are allowed to look at those if they ask, they aren’t private, but not going to email out to the student body
  • PG: campaign season, election season, campaign period- are these all the same?
  • LW: yes, can change in committee
  • FS: how is good academic standing defined for senate?
  • LW: not on academic probation- defined by the university
  • CJ: OCES will release records to attorney general, Dean of Students, Elections director- what will they be doing?
  • LW: looking over them to see if their are any concerning patterns of behavior, conflict of interest, including higher up administrators since they deal with things like this on a more regular basis
  • CJ: repercussions of concerning behavior?
  • ES: would not be allowed to run
  • JS: clarification between an organization donating money to a campaign but not directly endorsing a campaign
  • LW: an example is that it is unlikely that all members of a greek organization would support one campaign, but optional fundraising by that organization allows members to consent individually
  • JS: so organizations are permitted to donate to a campaign or only fundraising?
  • LW: that would be their prerogative
  • BC: what would prevent campaigns from working on stuff before the allowed time?
  • LW: define working on stuff?
  • BC: graphics, marketing materials, calendars, platform ideas
  • ES: if you want to start working on that, it’s up to you but you cannot be in contact with other people prior to the date
  • PT: perhaps including examples of violations?
  • ES: this has been discussed extensively, people might try to argue that a violation is closer to standard or severe, but rather we want to include information on that in the info passed on to future election directors
  • JS: what sort of post-election sanctions could be applied?
  • ES: more up to attorney general & judicial since that would be occurring after the elections ended
  • MP: why can the elections director regulate organizations on who they can endorse?
  • LW: this falls on the candidate, not the organization, so if the candidate isn’t aware they will have time to remedy it, but this still ultimately falls on the candidate
  • MP: why is it that people running are being reprimanded based on actions of an organization?
  • ES: at the end of the day, you are responsible for your campaign and you signed up to follow these rules, we are willing to work with candidates again when they are not aware of organizations’ endorsements
  • BS: not a violation to walk around off-campus housing facilities, but is a violation to hand out fliers?
  • LW: yes, because many off-campus housing areas have their own rules regarding solicitation
  • BS: what would stop an organization from trying to hurt a candidate by not taking something down when asked?
  • LW: we know we can’t prevent an organization from doing that, and thorough investigations would be conducted in any situation like this that may arise
  • FS: are the 60-hour requirements for positions limited to Clemson hours?
  • LW: standing in the university so it can include transfer hours
  • MS: where does the authority to bar a candidate to run come from?
  • LW: not granted for GPA but a requirement is still in place, but this will ultimately be left up to people who deal with this on a daily basis
  • MS: so if OCES finds something concerning, who determines whether to bar someone from running?
  • LW: Dean of Students, OCES representative, not something that would be taken lightly at all
  • MS: so where does the authority ultimately come from?
  • LW: from the judicial branch because they have the authority to make these decisions
  • AS: move to send this bill back to F&P
  • Objected
  • PS: are these organizations required to be registered student orgs?
  • LW: no we didn’t limit that
  • JL: is there a reason it wasn’t limited to recognized student orgs?
  • LW: outside orgs from off campus, not something we can regulate if off campus orgs try to support, not everyone has easy access to this kind of money
  • CJ: move to send this back to F&P
  • SB 21 back in F&P

Announcements

  • Jade Richard in Top Ten for Miss Homecoming!!
  • Come out & support her at Tigerama
  • AS: move to adjourn
Created By
Kara Donovan
Appreciate

Credits:

Created with images by mblouir - "Reflection Pond" • hager.angie - "Tilman Hall" • jill111 - "stack of books vintage books book" • Daria-Yakovleva - "background frame food" • TBIT - "dollar bank note money" • www.metaphoricalplatypus.com - "Bikes" • mebner1 - "printer 3d making" • hager.angie - "Holtzendorf Hall"

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.