Loading

Minutes 10/9/17 Senate Secretary, Kara Donovan

  • Call to order
  • Invocation by Senator Pate
  • Pledge of Allegiance
  • Roll call by Secretary Donovan
  • Senators Miller and Kibler were found absent
Presentation by University Services Chair & ITSAB Chair Mikey Summers
  • ITSAB was founded in 2007, brought back in 2009
  • my.Clemson app, Adobe digital studio are examples of projects funded by ITSAB
  • TM: motion to open the gallery
  • From gallery: do you have to be a senator to join ITSAB?
  • MS: no, only about half are from student government
  • CJ: procedure for an organization to receive ITSAB funding?
  • MS: process of hearings, board as a whole votes based on proposals
  • ZP: projects before and new projects?
  • MS: my.Clemson fully funded by ITSAB (multi-year project), this year looking forward to idea of possibly bringing a hackathon to campus
  • From gallery: improving the hackathon that’s already here or replacing it?
  • MS: many people weren’t aware, poorly publicized, would like to see it bigger and bring in as many students as possibly, in the future invite students from other campuses
  • BB: looking at desks available in the library, etc. would that fall under ITSAB?
  • MS: yes so anything IT related would definitely fall under ITSAB funding
Presentation by CIO Russ Kaurloto
  • I am from USC in Southern California, and also worked for the city of Los Angeles
  • Hackathons- come up with a problem, try to find a solution to the problem (that is IT related)
  • Come up with an application to develop or problem to fix, form teams, monetary reward for winning team
  • True hackathon would start on a Friday and work straight through weekend → something new comes up you never would have thought of
  • 22 years with associated press
  • Ran IT at USC
  • Came here from LA because Clemson is on the upswing, new ideas, creativity, etc.
  • SP: I’m a part of ITSAB, always get questions about Wifi problems, etc.
  • RK: major problem among many higher institutions, aged infrastructure, I want to work to improve Wifi in outdoor spaces, indoor spaces, parking lots, etc., need to refresh hardware, cabling
  • JR: 5-year plan for the future of Clemson?
  • RK: data analytics piece is really key, on the low end- presence/push aspect, digital signage
  • PG: speak to the mobile strategy?
  • RK: moving everything to digital format, everything is online-driven, Adobe creative cloud for example
academic Affairs, Shreya Shankar
  • Met With Academic Advising Committee
  • Talk of expanding Major/Minor fair to have students from every major there as representatives
  • Tentatively the second week of classes spring semester.
  • Working on Academics cheat sheet for new freshman
  • Sending out survey for feedback for humanities student research
  • Meeting with Neil Burton for professional development resources expansion
  • Talking to R and D about cheaper transcripts
  • Tremaine will be reaching out and conducting research to see what exact issues ROTC students and student veterans are having with registration times
  • Looking to create more research opportunities for humanities majors
  • CU Drop in Research Spotlight
  • Please submit graphic designs for CUDIRS banner to email below
  • Contacting companies to buy podium
  • Looking for professors who want to present research; submit names if you know anyone
  • Exploring expansion of undergraduate research opportunities
  • Unified database of research opportunities in every College
  • Going with Dr. Griffin to talk to undergraduate associate deans about undergraduate research fair
  • Contact info:
  • Shreya Shankar
  • 843-260-4372
  • shanka2@clemson.edu
  • @shreyatheslaya
Athletics, Josh Hutchinson
  • Athletics Updates:
  • GT Ticketing distribution is moved due to fall break
  • Wednesday, October 18th: Collegiate Club - 5 p.m. / Graduate Students - 7:30 p.m.
  • Thursday, October 19th: Seniors - 5 p.m. / Juniors - 7:30 p.m.
  • Friday, October 20th: Sophomores - 5 p.m. / Freshman - 7:30 p.m.
  • Software meeting coming soon
  • Rachel and Izzy are working on penalty for selling tickets
  • Email going out soon to inform students of the penalty
  • Appeal process will go through Janay/Supreme Court for short term
  • Work with OCES and Judicial to revise code of contact and implementation for the future
  • Investigating method for student-led new software system—Katie
  • Campus Rec Updates:
  • Constituency report going well—August, Katelyn, Banner, and Morgan are working on this
  • Steam room up and running
  • IM League integration with student accounts
  • Ineligibility for one of two reasons
  • You have not paid campus rec fee
  • Two accounts (easy fix)
  • Projects:
  • A. Penalty for selling tickets—Rachel and Izzy
  • B. Campus Rec Constituency report—August, Katelyn, Banner, and Morgan
  • C. Ticketing Software updates—AJ and myself
  • D. Future Software project—Katie
  • Contact Info:
  • Josh Hutchinson | 803-727-3854 | jhutch4@g.clemson.edu
Campus Life, Jacob Livingston
  • Updates this Week:
  • Campus Life has officially hit $10K in registrations for the OCHF this year! Sign up to volunteer here; all volunteers get a free t-shirt!
  • Carly and Emily Anne are recruiting Johnson Link’s help with bringing farmer’s market onto campus
  • Continuing student housing contracts are still going on, sign up ASAP if you want to live on campus next year!
  • Meeting with Kathy Hobgood this week, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns to take to her!
  • We may not be ahead in Senate points, but Campus Life had someone in Homecoming Court so I fully expect to see @MillerHoffman with the crown next year. jwlivin@clemson.edu | (843) 855-2516 | SC: @jacobsayshi | Twitter/Insta: @jacob_livvy
Finance & Procedures, Miller Hoffman
  • Legislation:
  • Second Read
  • Elections bylaws amendments
  • First Read
  • Non-Operational funding
  • Funding Board Confirmations
  • Updates:
  • Funding Board interviews went well, you’ll see these nominees soon
  • Legislative amendments coming soon!
  • Shout out to everyone who came to me with questions about legislation. That’s the way it supposed to go.
  • Remember to watch out for water always.
  • “Don’t be sleeping on your level ‘cause there’s beauty in the struggle”
  • mhoffm5@g.clemson.edu / 803-412-5983
Health & Human Services, Madison Gregoris
  • Updates:
  • Happy Indigenous People’s Day! Christopher Columbus didn’t “discover” anything!
  • Friendly reminder that Native Americans are not one homogenous group - there are 562+ ethnically and culturally diverse tribes and communities
  • Flu shots at Redfern
  • RHC - every Wednesday 9-11AM and 130-415PM - $25 or free depending
  • Walgreens - schedule an appointment online for shot in their pharmacy - couldn’t find cost info online
  • CVS - walk-ins to Minute Clinic OR pharmacy - $5 off $25 coupon online
  • ITS FLU SEASON FOLKS GET VACCINATED
  • Only one ADA accessible bathroom in Cooper - and it’s on the 5th floor
  • S/o to Aubrey for bringing this to my attention
  • We’re looking into this
  • Tampons in vending machines in the Shoeboxes are $2.00 but condoms are only $1.25
  • S/o to Jay for bringing this to my attention
  • We’re looking into it
  • Deadline to apply to be a Peer Dialogue Facilitator - Tuesday 10/10 - tomorrow
  • https://www.clemson.edu/centers-institutes/gantt/multicultural-engagement/index.html#peer
  • Tampon receptacles in all-women on-campus housing
  • Looking to set up a meeting with myself, Aliyah and Kathy Hobgood this or next week to discuss options
  • Aubrey already has proposal written up for installing at least one more printer in the Shoeboxes
  • Exploring ITSAB funding
  • Awesome work
  • “A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.” - Winston Churchill | 315.559.2066, mjgrego@g.clemson.edu
Transportation & Facilities, Patrick Gorospe
  • Updates:
  • Bathroom improvement project - Lisa
  • 1000 ZipCar Club members, 1000 less commuter permits, 700 park n ride, carpool permits are good!
  • Looking to develop student LEV and EV permit programs
  • Solar power updates
  • Vickery Hall updates
  • ADA campus-wide survey
  • #TFam snapchat, don’t be too jelly
  • Tunnel tour, Douthit Hills
  • Projects:
  • Jessica Ruday -exploring game day transit revival
  • Derwin Simpson & Emily Anders - entering into research and benchmarking analysis for nap pods project
  • Monica Rozman - working with CUPD to explore the possibility of a school-wide active shooter training
  • Andrew O’Steen & Lisa Uy - water refill station expansion project, power outlet identification & expansion project
  • Upcoming Meetings:
  • Dan (weekly)
  • Todd Barnette (bi-weekly)
  • Peter Knudsen (monthly)
  • HMU 803-371-0959 | pgorosp@clemson.edu | @heyitsmepatg (coffee, free food, friendship)
University Services, Mikey Summers
  • We The Tigers
  • New admins and moderators set
  • Talking with Taylor McCall about getting a News Feed on CUSG home page
  • Hackathon:
  • Definitely happening
  • Leadership being assembled now
  • Jacob Sargent
  • Collecting demographic information of Senate
Clerk, Jack Council
  • CUSG on-campus activities:
  • Scroll of Honor tour 10/24 at 4 pm
  • If you ever have any questions or just wanna hang out:
  • 704-488-3242
  • jcounci@g.clemson.edu
  • Snapchat/Insta: @jack_council
Secretary, Kara Donovan
  • Seating Chart
  • Absence make-up
  • Points:
  • Funding board (weekly)
  • CUDIRS (weekly)
  • “Sharing with Senate” (weekly)
  • Green Zone Training 10/12
  • Fill out Clemson Community survey!
  • https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdSB_HNK_btTQHwcz4-8XduykKj4XFtVhH-TzaGtpIl7VKeQA/viewform?c=0&w=1
  • Contact Info
  • (410) 220-7220 | donova3@g.clemson.edu | Insta: @kara710 | Twitter: @kdon710 | Snapchat: @karadonovan710
Pro Temp, Steven Patrick
  • CUSG collab with ClemsonLIFE
  • Advisory Board Board
  • CUSG Tailgate
Vice President, Jaren Stewart
  • BGR Project
  • Clemson Caribbean Initiative
Senate President, Leland Dunwoodie
  • Steering:
  • Student Affairs
  • Absences
  • Shoutouts:
  • Campus Life: OCHF
  • Athletics: Students selling tickets
  • Updates:
  • Barnes Center
  • Career Center
  • Leland Dunwoodie | 269-759-4768 | ldunwoo@g.clemson.edu | @lelanddunwoodie

Old Business

  • Senate Bill 21
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Sponsors: Emma Schafer and Lindsey Wright
  • Purpose: To update Student Body Elections bylaws of the Judicial Branch to reflect the appropriate changes within the elections process.
  • JL: move to propose a hostile amendment
  • JL: goal of preventing political organizations and lobbying groups whose mission statement or membership aren’t central to Clemson or Clemson University from donating to any campaign
  • EG: an example of a group?
  • ES: Turning Point USA has been trying to influence student body elections by providing funding, marketing, etc. There have been scandals with this at other schools and we are trying to implement a preventative measure
  • ZP: love the intent, but we do have political organizations on campus, so what would stop Turning Point USA from giving money to an on-campus org and then giving it to a campaign?
  • JL: would be up to discretion of elections director, not able to fully regulate
  • AO: Point of Information- is it not true that Turning Point USA is an RSO?
  • If the speaker says so it must be true
  • CJ: how would you know an outside org is donating to a campaign?
  • JL: required to be reported in an expenditure report, but you probably wouldn’t unless an investigation were conducted by elections board
  • RR: does this also include a political organization providing funding for marketing?
  • LW: marketing would be considered a violation, that’s why we have the phrase directly or indirectly
  • RR: what about an organization publicly advertising?
  • LW: also a violation, per bylaws no organization can publicly endorse a campaign
  • RR: would 48 hour rule still apply?
  • ES: they decide if you are guilty within 48 hours, but need to have a hearing for the campaign to come in when all parties are available
  • JS: a reason why the violation would result in immediate disqualification and not a severe violation?
  • JL: funding is a very sensitive thing, very hard to regulate removal of funds that had already been given
  • AC: is it possible to really regulate money transfers between national organizations and the Clemson chapter of those organizations?
  • JL: we can’t, we really want the money to be coming from students who have a stake in these elections
  • ZP: how did the Turning Point funding get there last year?
  • ES: was not stated in expenditure report, found out later
  • MG: were you targeting any groups or looking to better Clemson election process?
  • JL: I had heard about it from last year, but this has also been happening at a lot of universities on a national level and I want to get ahead of this
  • PG: do you think there are any issues that are national and student?
  • JL: I’m sure there are, but actual funding has a lot more influence over a campaign and can take away from a platform
  • PG: would this amendment also apply to state and regional groups?
  • JL: so we didn’t say national, but yes this could be a state or regional level group, shouldn’t have a stake in a university election
  • BD: move to send this amendment into 2nd read
  • Hostile amendment in 2nd read
  • MR: con- love the concept, but I don’t think it is explicit enough to allow politically oriented student groups to donate and could be taken unfairly in the future; I feel this is almost irrelevant
  • JC: pro- as student government, we should be representing students and not be linked to an outside group that comes with funding from those groups
  • ZP: con- love the intent, but it’s pretty idealistic, I think it’s politics and it’s going to happen, I’d rather have candidates just explicitly state where the funds come from as opposed to back-door
  • SP: pro- this election should not be the concern of any national organization, solely Clemson University
  • AO: con- I think this is a dangerous clause; I agree we don’t need national organizations coming in, but these organizations can still very much do that even if this amendment does pass, rather this leaves way too much discretion up to the elections director
  • RR: pro- looking at the amendment itself, the rules are explicitly stated, also prohibits direct and indirect donations
  • JS: move to call this amendment to question
  • Will now call this bill to question
  • Amendment passes
  • Back in 2nd read
  • TM: pro- put a lot of work into reviewing these bylaws
  • MG: move to call this bill to question
  • Objection
  • Will now call this bill to question
  • SB 21 passes

New Business

  • Senate Bill 22
  • Authors: Samuel Thompson and Mason Hammond
  • Purpose: To approve the following appointments to the 2017-2018 Student Activity Funding Board
  • TM: when is the next funding board?
  • MH: in 2 weeks
  • MR: can you go over how these people were chosen?
  • MH: had about 60 applications for 6-8 spots; don’t just look for finance or economics majors, we get a good mix and look for a team atmosphere, also looked for younger members since we have a lot of juniors and seniors currently
  • MR: who is involved in choosing these people?
  • MH: Connor McCormick and I
  • KB: move to suspend the rules and send this bill to second read
  • Bill is now in second read
  • JS: pro- I believe in Connor and Miller’s ability to effectively choose Funding Board members
  • BD: move to call this bill to question
  • SB 22 passes
  • Senate Bill 23
  • Authors: Miller Hoffman and Christian Jones
  • Purpose: To approve the recommended non-operational appropriations.
  • LW: is Clemson International Relations Association/Model UN 2 different groups?
  • MH: that is what they are registered as on Tiger Quest
  • AS: move to send this bill back to F&P
  • SB 23 back in F&P
  • Senate Resolution 3
  • Authors: Patrick Gorospe and Michael Summers
  • Sponsors: Selena Valdizon and Juan Avila
  • Purpose: To express Undergraduate Student Senate support for petitioning the Clemson Board of Trustees and the South Carolina Delegation to Congress to support the swift passage of the DREAM Act of 2017.
  • ZP: absolutely love this, is Trump trying to add stipulations to the DREAM Act?
  • PG: intentionally didn’t list names
  • ZP: if something comes up in the next 2 weeks, would you consider changing the resolution to reflect the initial intent?
  • PG: absolutely
  • ST: if aliens have to be continuously, physically present in the US for 4 years preceding the bill?
  • JA: believe it is from that point onward
  • RR: any previous support senate has expressed regarding things on a national scale?
  • LD: executive order passed last spring, passed a senate resolution expressing support for the homecoming of a Clemson grad student stuck abroad, trying to show support for Clemson students
  • RR: does this resolution have the same reasons as the other executive order-related resolution?
  • PG: yes similar purpose stemming from trying to protect a Clemson student
  • BB: is the DREAM Act replacing DACA?
  • JA: first DREAM Act introduced in 2001, been changed in different ways since then, very close to being passed last time, so the president at the time decided to do something via DACA; DACA has essentially same requirements as DREAM Act, both address same issue, but DREAM Act is permanent and DACA is more of a band-aid
  • PG: DREAM Act never sets DACA recipient as a requirement for qualification
  • AM: is this in support of the DREAM Act for Clemson students or on a national level
  • SV: main reason is to support our Clemson students, but we’d also like to reach out to other organizations and hope they would pass something like this, as well as perhaps organize a Letters to Congress event
  • MH: how would the pending passage of this affect financial aid for students?
  • PG: would be an aid year period, and then all requirements are re-checked at the end of the year and then given a green card
  • BB: would you consider adding in something like to support Clemson students to the purpose statement?
  • PG: talk after first read
  • AA: move to send this resolution back to T&F
  • SR back in T&F

Announcements

  • Presentation by Vice President Stewart
  • EH: Green Zone Training this Thursday at 6pm
  • CJ: formed an ad-hoc committee with Ashley Girvin, looking for ways to improve sense of community on Clemson’s campus
  • AG: making that a points opportunity
  • JR: Google form coming out tomorrow about Fall retreat, and t-shirt link at bottom of that form
  • MH: motion to introduce articles of impeachment against Student Body Vice President Jaren Stewart
  • TM: objection- I support Vice President Stewart
  • Will not hear articles of impeachment
  • JS: thank you, this is not about me but about everyone that comes after me
  • PG: move to adjourn
Created By
Kara Donovan
Appreciate

Credits:

Created with images by jill111 - "stack of books vintage books book" • Daria-Yakovleva - "background frame food" • TBIT - "dollar bank note money" • www.metaphoricalplatypus.com - "Bikes" • mebner1 - "printer 3d making"

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.