- made from a thickened brown stock
- "Spanish sauce" in French
- usually contains tomato
- demi-glace: half espagnole sauce, half brown stock
- simmered tomato products, seasonings, flavorings, and stock or another liquid
- basic tomato sauce is only made with vegetables
- very versatile
- a.k.a. cream sauce or white sauce
- made by thickening milk with a white roux, seasonings, and flavorings
- roux: a cooked mixture made with fat and flour
- French for "velvety"
- a.k.a. blond sauce
- made by thickening a light stock with a light roux
- French for "Dutch"
- made from emulsified egg yolks, clarified butter, seasonings, and lemon juice
- emulsified: water and oil are mixed with egg yolk so that they do not separate