- Filippino Lippi was born in the Republic of Florence around 1457.
- Lippi spent most all of his life in Florence painting in in villas for patrons or painting in churches.
- He had great mentors to get his career going. For starters, in was in his genes. Lippi learned from his father, ho also happened to be a famous painter named Fra Filippo Lippi. He also learned from the great Botticelli.
- He spent nearly all his life in Florence. Even his young life was dedicated to painting. Much of his life was also dedicated to just learning the trade. He spent a few years in Rome to go study painting. Another thing Lippi loved to do was draw. He was as great of a drawer as he was a painter.
- All of Lippi's art was painting or drawing. While he was known as a drawer, all his memorable pieces were paintings. Examples of his paintings include, Centaur in a Landscape, Tobias and the Angel, The Virgin and Child, and his most famous piece, The Vision of St. Bernard.
- Lippi's most notable patrons were Filippo Strozzi and Lorenzo Medici.
The Vision of St. Bernard
- This piece, The Vision of St. Bernard, was painted in 1486.
- You can currently find the artwork at the Badia Fiorentina, a church in Florence, Italy.
- This piece is important when thinking of Filippino Lippi because it is considered his greatest piece. The work also combines warm colors and subtle chiaroscuro, which is the use of light and shade in a painting.
- The patron of the work, Piero, is featured in the bottom right corner.
- This painting exhibits naturalism because of the style it was created in. Filippino Lippi used lots of texture, especially lots of mixture between light and shade.
- This painting also exhibits perspectivism because it uses lots of background art and three dimensional texture.
- I like this painting because it uses immense detail, especially in the background. I also like the idea of perspective which is beautiful to the eye. Something also interesting is that out of any religious figure it could feature, it features a saint that only came 200 or so years before it.
"Filippino Lippi." Biography.com. A&E Networks Television, 02 Apr. 2014. Web. 01 Dec. 2016.
Goldner, Author: George R. "Filippino Lippi (ca. 1457–1504) | Essay | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art." The Met's Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Dec. 2016.
"Filippino Lippi :: Biography ► Virtual Uffizi." Virtual Uffizi Gallery. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Dec. 2016.
"Work The Vision of Saint Bernard." The Vision of Saint Bernard | Louvre Museum | Paris. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Dec. 2016.
The Vision of St. Bernard. Digital image. FineArt-China.COM. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Dec. 2016.
Filippino Lippi. Digital image. Alchetron. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Dec. 2016.