For the Chronicle
Spring break should by no means be boring for Citrus County youths. Several local organizations have activities planned March 13-17 to keep the kids educated, entertained and otherwise engaged.
Boys & Girls Clubs
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Citrus County can always be counted on to fill in the gaps when school is out, said CEO Travis Anderson. “Anytime school is out we’re in,” he said.
The club will be holding spring break camps from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. at all three of its locations.
Camp activities will be themed around St. Patrick’s Day and will include games of Gaelic football, Hunt for Gold nature walks, Irish cooking, and various field trips, said Anderson. There will also be water days, painting with a twist, robotics projects, kickball, obstacle courses, and guest speakers, he said.
The program costs $75 for the week, or $18 per day. Ages 6 to 18 are welcome.
“Please call ahead and reserve your spot. It helps us plan for staffing, etc.,” said Anderson.
The Citrus Memorial Health YMCA is also holding spring break camps at Forest Ridge Elementary, Pleasant Grove Elementary, and Crystal River Primary schools.
“The camps will run from 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and we are showcasing what our summer camp will be like,” said Operations Director David Reed. Students of all ages will engage in arts and crafts, camp songs, water activities, reading activities and more, he said.
“The cost is $90 per student for the week and financial assistance is available to those who qualify,” Reed said.
The Citrus County Public Library System also has numerous events planned at all branches during spring break, said communications facilitator Ben Kampschroer.
“No matter where in the county people live, there is a library nearby and a good chance that something fun is going on,” Kampschroer said. “It’s also a good time to check out books you’ve been meaning to read.”
* This is Your Life: Lu the Hippopotamus, a puppet show, will be presented by the Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park Puppeteers at the following times and locations:
* Lakes Region branch in Inverness, from 2-3 p.m. Monday, March 13.
* Homosassa branch, from 4-5 p.m. Tuesday, March 14.
* Coastal Region branch in Crystal River, from 1-2 p.m. Wednesday, March 15.
* Central Ridge branch in Beverly Hills, from 10-11 a.m. Thursday, March 16.
* Celebrate Pi Day will feature various crafts and games to illustrate the mathematical constant of pi from 10:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 14, at the Floral City Branch.
* Spring Break Crafternoon will feature creative crafts from 2-3:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 14, at Lakes Region Library.
* Camp Read S’More, an indoor campout with s’mores, crafts, and songs, will be from 1:30-3 p.m. Wednesday, March 15, at the Floral City Library.
* STEM @ the Library, a science program focusing on elements of spring, such as rainbows and clouds, will be from 4-5 p.m. Wednesday, March 15, at Lakes Region Library.
* Lego Time, featuring adventures building with Legos, will be from 4:30-5:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 15, at the Homosassa Library.
* Tween and Teen Thursday: Bookmark Bonanza, a program in which bookmarks will be crafted, will be from 2-3 p.m. Thursday, March 16, at the Homosassa Library.
* The BFG, a movie about a girl who encounters the Big Friendly Giant who, despite his intimidating appearance, is considered an outcast by other giants because he refuses to eat children, will be shown from 10:30-12:30 a.m. Saturday, March 18, at Lakes Region Library.
With the exception of the Teen and Tween bookmark event, which targets kids ages 12 and up, all library events are focused on kindergarteners through fifth-graders. “However children of all ages are welcome,” Kampschroer said.
SO YOU KNOW
* Call 352-500-9622, or register with the YMCA program at each elementary and middle school.
Boys & Girls Clubs
* Robert Halleen Homosassa/Crystal River Club, 8535 W. Goodman Lane, Homosassa — 352-795-8624.
* Central Ridge Club, 901 W Roosevelt in Beverly Hills — 352-872-3826.
* Evelyn Waters Club, 401 N. Apopka Ave., Inverness — 352-364-3498.
* For information and to find the location nearest you, check out the club website at bgccitrus.org.
* Central Ridge: 425 W. Roosevelt Blvd., Beverly Hills — 352-746-6622.
* Coastal Region: 8619 W. Crystal St., Crystal River — 352-795-3716.
* Floral City: 8360 E. Orange Ave., Floral City — 352-726-3671.
* Homosassa: 4100 S. Grandmarch Ave., Homosassa — 352-628-5626.
* Lakes Region: 1511 Druid Road, Inverness — 352-726-2357.