The second graders in Ms. Kijek's class give today's science lesson a huge thumbs up as they were able to explore different landforms using sand and paper! Looks SWEET second graders...keep up the good work!
Thank you for all the fleece donations and items donated for the troops. The MLK day of service was a huge success. Take a look at the highlights from the event in this week's world class Wednesday!
World Class Video of the TSD MLK Day of Service 2019 on Monday at Athens HS.
Predict, Prepare and Practice for the Most Effective Discipline
No parent would wait until their child burned down the house to talk about the danger of playing with matches. Yet when it comes to discipline, parents often wait until after a problem arises to take action. Preventing problems in the first place is much more effective.Follow these steps:
- Predict. Think about a behavior you would like to change. Perhaps your child gets up so late in the morning that he often misses the bus.
- Prepare. Since you can predict the behavior, you can also think about ways to prevent it. Instead of waiting until your child straggles down to the breakfast table, think of ways to avoid the late start. Is he tired in the morning because he’s been up too late at night? An earlier bedtime could change that. Is he rushing around trying to get organized for school? Spending time the night before could save precious minutes in the morning.
- Practice. Help your child practice the prevention strategies until they become habits.
If you predict, prepare and practice, you can also prevent many behavior problems from recurring.
Reprinted with permission from the January 2019 issue of Parents make the difference!® (Elementary School Edition) newsletter. Copyright © 2019 The Parent Institute®, a division of PaperClip Media, Inc.
The Troy School District is beginning to identify Kindergarten students for the 2019-20 school year. If you have a child who will be five years old on or before September 1, 2019* please call the Hill office at (248) 823-3500 to get on our kindergarten list.
Hill Family in Need: The Downey Family
A Meal Train has started for the Downey family. The Meal Train will allow both the Hill and Larson Community to sign up and bring a meal to the Downey Household. You may click on the link if you would like to participate. https://mealtrain.com/wyr9g7 . Families in the community may also donate to the Downey family through a GoFund Me page that has been set up to help support the family in honor of Mr. Downey. Please click on the link below if you would like to contribute. https://www.gofundme.com/support-for-the-downey-family . Please join me in keeping the Downey family in your thoughts and prayers. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call me. Should you or your child need to speak to our school social worker, Mrs. Taylor, please call the school office.
Noon Aides Needed
Even if you are available only one or two days a week or are just willing to sub!
Hill Science Night
Hill Science Night with Cranbrook Institute of Science will be held on Thursday, February 21, 2019.
Volunteers will be assisting students and their families while they visit 14 fun hands on science stations provided by Cranbrook Institute of Science. The experiments will be broken down into 2 shifts 1 hr each but feel free to sign up for the full 2 hr time slot if you would like
Youth Enrichment Classes
The following classes are being offered at Hill after school through Troy Continuing Ed (TCE). You can register through the link below:
February is Incredible Kid Month
It’s that time of year again to recognize the Incredible Kids of Troy! On Thursday evening, February 21, 2019, the Troy Community Coalition will celebrate its 18th annual Incredible Kid event. This event recognizes children, between the ages of 5 – 12, that have made a positive impact in their community. Form must be submitted by January 31.
- SUNDAY 1/27 - 6:00p - "Screenagers" special screening @ Kensington Church
- TUESDAY 1/29 - 7:00p - 5th Grade Festival of Choirs at Athens High School
- TUESDAY 1/29 - 3rd Grade Field trip to Oakland University
- WEDNESDAY 1/30 - 6:15-8:15pm - PTO sponsored Skate World Party
- WEDNESDAY 2/6 - K-12 Early Release - school dismissed at 12:39pm
- MONDAY-TUESDAY 2/19-2/19 - No School - Mid-Winter recess
- WEDNESDAY 2/27 - K-12 Early Release - school dismissed at 12:39pm
Have a Fabulous Weekend!
Shari Pawlus - Principal - Hill Elementary