VEGETARIAN AWARENESS MONTH
Vegetarian diets, along with plant-based, are more common than ever. The number of people adopting these changes continue to rise! Restaurants and food suppliers are recognizing this, making it simpler to try out new options. Below are benefits and ideas of eating more meatless meals and snacks:
- Can lower risk of chronic disease and poor health outcomes
- Decreased saturated fat intake
- Increase fiber and healthy fats with plant foods
- Expands taste palate
- Often more affordable than full carnivore diets
- Reduces need for land and water resources, supports animal welfare
- Add beans, quinoa, or edamame to salads
- Choose 3 meals a week to go meatless and try a new food
- Have produce, whole grains and healthy fats be the center of the plate, with animal products as an accompaniment
- Have veggies and hummus or a DIY trail mix for a snack
- Check out daily vegetarian/vegan options in the dining commons to try with friends!
October is National Oatmeal Month!
Oatmeal is a nutritious, warm, and hearty meal that can be sweet or savory, perfect for fall weather!
- 1/2 cup has 5 grams each of fiber and protein
- Cook in low-fat dairy or soy milk for calcium and protein
- Can grind into oat flour for baking
- Affordable and convenient
- Great base for homemade granola
- Flavor Combinations: Nut/seed butter and fruit
- Berries and sunflower seeds
- Shredded carrots, walnuts, raisins
- Egg, tomato, avocado
- Spinach, chickpeas, turmeric
Hey, thanks for reading!
If you have any suggestions or topics you would like to see in future mindful newsletters, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 508-626-4602. I'd love to hear your input!
Make sure to follow us on social media and get updates on all things FSU Dining Services, including my wellness tips!