In 2017, the administration of Bishop Kenny High School unveiled a 5-year strategic plan. The result of several months of research and collaboration, the plan was developed and adopted as a roadmap of school improvement including, programs, facilities, business practices, student life, and a vision for the future. With 2 years left on the clock , I am happy to present this report of the progress that has been made so far.
Not surprisingly, year three of our 5-year plan has been significantly impacted by the Covid-19 global pandemic. Some of our plans have been interrupted or delayed in order to respond to this once in a century occurrence. Despite this new reality, we remain committed to the goals and time-frame of the Strategic Plan for Bishop Kenny High School.
Todd M. Orlando, Principal
1. Celebrate the important role the church plays in the daily life of our school and its students
The following outlines new programs and enhancements made to existing programs in response to our challenge to celebrate the role the church plays in the daily life of BK:
- Development of a school crest for use on significant documents and publications
- Diocesan Professional Development for Faculty
- Ongoing Catechesis for faculty (OSG)
- Faculty retreats
- Freshman Retreat
- Focus on mental health of students
- Kairos Retreat Program
- Speakers brought to campus to address faculty on professional development days.
- Speakers brought to campus to address students
- Response of school to loss of a student
1. Promote the historical significance of Bishop William Kenny to students, parents, and alumni.
- A plaque introducing Bishop William Kenny, the first American-born Bishop of St. Augustine, has been installed at the main entrance to the school.
- A classroom lesson and accompanying card featuring a picture of Bishop William Kenny along with brief information about the significant events in his life is distributed to all 9th grade students in conjunction with annual Founders’ Mass.
Campus Environment Goal 2: Develop short and long-term improvement plans for campus facilities
- Architectural review commissioned to address needs of: 100 building, locker rooms, administrative and business offices
- Telephone system replaced
- Renovated and modernized student and faculty restrooms in the 100, 200, and 300 buildings
- Carpeting replaced in 200 building
- Furniture, cabinetry upgrades to main office
- Covered walkways re-roofed
- Addition of a Mac lab
- Created and updated a robotics lab
- Cafeteria Update and Renovation
- Gymnasium Interior Renovation
- Gymnasium Restrooms Renovation
- Gymnasium Roof Replaced
- Server and switch replacements
- Sailing team added as a club sport
- Beach Volleyball added as club sport
- Beach Volleyball courts (3) added at waterfront
- Baseball complex improvements: wall, batting cages, press box, signage
- Softball Concession Renovated
- Tennis courts re-screened
- Track replaced
Goal 1: Ensure the solvency of BKHS through goal-driven budgeting and sound fiscal management
- A 5-year financial plan complete with specific short and long-term goals has been established.
- Monthly internal review in place
- Principal meets twice annually with investment advisor
Goal 2: Expand the information sharing process
- Publish an Annual Report - This goal has not yet been addressed.
- Promote the financial affordability of a Catholic secondary education. In-person and print communication directed to potential students and their parents explains payment and scholarship options for families in need of assistance.
Institutional Advancement Goal 1: Position BK as the premier Catholic college-prep school in North Florida
1) Continue to focus on branding using approved logo and mascot.
- Development of approved logos for athletic clubs and school organizations.
- Consistent use of BK logo on expanded line of after-school and spirit-wear, and other specialty advertising items available online and in Crusader Corner.
- Increased presence of BKHS via advertising.
- Increased circulation of giveaway items thru the feeder schools.
2) Increase the presence of BKHS via social media and website.
- Branding Package Rollout
- New BK website
- Addition of a Communications Coordinator with a focus on social media
- Roll-out of We Are BK campaign
Goal 2: Admissions
1) Strengthen commitment to financial aid and scholarship programs.
- BKHS Private Financial Aid Program
- BKHS Privately Funded and Named Scholarships
- Family Empowerment Scholarship
- Gardiner Scholarship
- McKay Scholarship
- Florida Tax Credit Scholarships
2) Sustain community outreach to ensure strong and diverse enrollment.
- Addition of STEAM Day as recruitment tool
- Addition of BK Ambassadors Program
- Crusader for a Day program enhancements
- Expanded Discovery Day Program
- Expanded Outreach to potential new families through Social Media
- Finalsite website roll-out for ease of browsing, online applications, etc.
Institutional Advancement Goal 4: Create additional revenue streams to support the Vision and Mission of BK
1) Disclose scholarship and other altruistic opportunities for potential donors.
- Cultivate donors who show interest in other giving opportunities on Fund for BKHS commitment forms
2) Foster established relationships with alumni and parishes.
- Invite donors to Benefactors Mass
- Attend Door Openers Functions
- Offer expanded social opportunities for alumni
- Encourage more on-campus reunion activities
3) Strengthen ties with current benefactors.
- Benefactors Mass
- Christmas Cards
- Invitation to Founders' Mass
- VIC athletic admission cards given to supporters
4) Continue to reach out to alumni and parents to ensure the continued success of special events.
- Social media and electronic messaging about special events to alumni
- Addition of online participation in the BK Boosters Auction
- Encourage sponsors and donors from the alumni community
- Encourage participation in the BK Boosters Golf Tournament
- Encourage participation in the Michael John Lanahan, Jr. Memorial Golf Tournament
Student Learning and Success Goal 1: Expand curricular offerings to support a vibrant and competitive college-preparatory school.
1.) Further develop STEM offerings and opportunities
- Addition of Khan Academy to enhance SAT preparation
- BK Ambassadors program established
- Clubs and Activities enlarged
- Domestic and international travel opportunities
2.) Consider additional AP courses
- Addition of two academic honor societies
- Increased AP offerings from 20 to 24
- Introduction of AP Capstone to curriculum
- Staffed math lab- days per week
- Writing lab
- Continued participation in the EnvirothonProposed addition of Environmental ScienceRaised Gardens Project Introduced -testing acidity of soil; plant-based research
Student Learning and Success Goal 2: Increase the number of National Merit qualifiers
1.) Promote the benefits of the National Merit Scholarship Program.
- Addition of Khan Academy in 9th and 10th grade English and math courses to enhances PSAT preparation
- Director of Dept. of School Counseling and Academic Dean held meeting with the top 25 juniors based on last year's PSAT to discuss benefits of the National Merit competition and ways to prepare
2.) Explore ways to identify and encourage potential scholars.