My Portfolio By: joseph Lindsay

These were our materials we were allowed to work with. We could have purchased more items if needed by requesting a part order and giving it to Mr. Twilley.
We started to create some mock up examples on OnShape so we could visually see our idea better. Our biggest problem was finding the proper dimensions for the steps that the cannon rests on. The steps are used for creating the necessary angles for the cannon to fire from. Eddie and I created a chart on the whiteboard using Algebra like sine and cosine to find the correct degrees for the cannon to fire from.
It took multiple days to figure out what was the best way to have the base so the cannon could rotate. We created a Spirograph idea and Andrew designed it on onshape after Nick got the dimensions of each cut.
As a side project, we programmed Arduino's to help control the firing of the cannon. We went through many circuits as practice. We eventually may use the Arduino for the final project.

Before we made our cannon, Mr. Twilley had us learn how to use an Arduino that we use later to control our cannon when we made.

Nick and I were cutting out the PVC pipes for our cannon. We had to measure out the barrels and glue the PVC together. The process took
After we went to printed on the ShopBot we had some issues with the measurements and it cut into the assembly time. We had to fix the tabs that connected the pieces together by sanding them down. Eventually, we put the project together with nails and glue.
After many weeks of designs and fails, including the dimensions being off after cutting out of the ShopBot, we assembled our final design and it turned out nicely.

One of our shots.

60 psi with our three angles (30,45,60)
75 psi with our three angles (30,45,60)
90 psi with our three angles (30,45,60)

Our final results for the various testing of the cannon. As you can see there were very different results for each angle and psi. The main 3 angles we used were 30, 45, and 60 degrees which proved to be the most effective for the cannon game. In the end we scored 5 points on day one and 20 points on day 2.


There were some flaws with our measurements and our initial base design. We could change how the cannon rotates if we were to redo the project. The "spirograph" idea could be altered to make a circular rotation base that will help rotate the cannon. What worked very well was the angles of the "steps" and how well we worked together. Also, the design and assembly of the cannon and the barrel support were very effective and we recorded great results from the firing stage. We were on task with the assembly of the cannon and the base. Overall, this was a successful project, but there are some room for improvements.

Created By
Joseph Lindsay

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.