The way we see it, you choose a college to help take your passion and accelerate it into a career and a fulfilling life path.
At Highlands, we are committed to doing exactly that. Our students and alumni consistently rate Highlands University #1 in New Mexico for student satisfaction.
At New Mexico Highlands University, you’re more than a student – you’re family. That means you’ll get that one-on-one attention to inspire you to reach your goals. Let New Mexico Highlands help take your passion and accelerate it into a career and fulfilling life path.
• Highlands features a 15:1 student – faculty ratio, unique for a public university.
• We hire the best professors who care about you and your goals.
• We’re a small school, but that’s a big thing! Our faculty put their students first, learning who you are, what you’re like, and what your aspirations are. That’s how they find the best way for each student to learn.
• New Mexico Highlands University boasts some of the best facilities in the state.
From 24-7 web-based tutoring to state-of-the-art science labs and media studios, Highlands University has the resources to make the most of your academic experience. Additionally, 89 percent of faculty members at Highlands University hold the highest possible degrees in their fields, which means you’ll be taught by experts who care about your future. Visit our campus and find out why 90 percent of our alumni said they were satisfied or very satisfied with the curriculum and instruction at New Mexico Highlands University.
Develop your passion!
The best geologists see the most rocks and at New Highlands University – students see a lot of rocks! Rugged mountains, volcanic fields, sedimentary basins, desert landscapes, glacier-formed peaks, celebrated fossil localities, and world-renowned geologic localities like the Rio Grande rift and the Valles Caldera offer unique natural laboratories and unmatched opportunities for field experiences.
Our geology professors are committed to learner-centered teaching, student-involved research, and community outreach. They bring their extensive field and laboratory training to provide a challenging, stimulating, and useful education in the geosciences. The Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Geology offers three courses of study: geology, water resources, and environmental science. In each, students gain scientific knowledge, math proficiency, research skills, technical abilities, and writing competencies to launch exciting and rewarding careers.
• The program boasts 100 percent job placement or graduate school entrance of its alumni.
• Students have opportunities to have hands-on engagement in the study of minerals, rocks, soils, waters, and environments in our unique location at the southern tip of the Rocky Mountains.
• Students have access to the latest geographic information systems (GIS) software tools for high-precision global positioning, geospatial analysis, digital mapping, and 3-D terrain modeling.
• Students have opportunities to participate in a variety of co-curricular activities, including the Geology Club, the Conservation Club, the Forestry Club, and the Leadership in Geospatial Technology Club.
• Students are provided with outstanding career development opportunities throughout their studies, including resume writing, conference attendance, field trip experiences, and capstone seminars.
We're with you all the way
New Mexico Highlands University understands your college experience is an important step in your future. That’s why our Career Services Office is here for you from day one. We want you to succeed in college and after graduation, so we have the tools to help begin your career. Career Services provides a variety of free services to all New Mexico Highlands University students and graduates in developing effective job search skills, career planning, and locating employment opportunities including summer internships and research programs, campus employment, part-time jobs and career employment.
Additionally, Career Services also hosts career fairs each semester with more than 60 participating employers. Past employers have included agencies such as Los Alamos National Laboratory, the U.S. Forest Service, and FBI, large corporate employers like Verizon, and nonprofits like Youth Shelter & Family Services.
We're in a place like no other