1. What are St. John XXIII’s nicknames? Why does each apply?
“Good Pope John” because he was a man of faith with a friendly manner
2. What were the three most progressive and long-lasting changes made by St. John XXIII?
•enlarge the college of cardinals more nationalistic
•updated the code of canon law
•called for the second Vatican council
3. What reasons did St. John XXIII give for calling the Second Vatican Council?
Pope John called the Second Vatican Council because he wanted to modernize the way the church used to proclaim the Gospel. He wanted to “open a window” to let some air into the church. This means he was open to change in the Church.
4. How long did Vatican II last? Where was it held?
The Council lasted between 1962-1965 and was held in St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican.
5. What is Lumen gentium? Why was it significant?
Lumen gentium emphasizes the community of the Church. All members of the Church have equal dignity and roles in the Church. This was significant because it changes the responsibilities that different people had within the church.
6. What is Dei verbum? What Catholic teaching did it emphasize?
Dei Verbum translates to “The word of God”. It was a central document created from Vatican II. It emphasized tradition and scriptute weren't two separate sources of revelation, but worked together.
7. What does the document Sacrosanctum concilium discuss?
- Sacrosanctum concilium discusses the liturgy as the focal point or activity where all Church action is derived to. The liturgy is the essential purpose of each mass.
8. To what was the document Gaudium et spes written in response?
- Gaudium et Spes was written in response to Pope Bl. John’s desire to have the Church be more direct in the service of the world.
9. What pope was elected during Vatican II and saw it through to the end?
-Pope Paul VI was elected during Vatican II and saw it through to the end.
10. How did Bl. Paul VI help improve relations with the Eastern Orthodox Church?
-both men un excommunicated each other to restore ties. Bl. Paul IV and the Eastern Orthodox Church seemed to restore relations at that time.
11. What steps did Bl. Paul VI take to implement the teachings of Vatican II?
•created the encyclical “Humans Vitae
•constantly traveled to extend the knowledge of Vatican II
12. What was so significant about Humanæ Vitæ?
•answers the questions about marriage and love.