History of Allen ISD Where Eagles Soar
Segregation laws prevented black students from attending the Allen Schools so students either attended school in private homes, traveled far to school or simply did not attend school. The County moved to formalize education for primary level students by opening the Allen Negro School in 1931. Students had the option to continue their education at the segregated Doty High School in McKinney or Douglass High School in Plano until 1964. The original Allen Negro School was rebuilt in 1953 and sold in 1964. The building stands at the corner of Cedar Street and Saint Mary’s Drive.
Black students had the option to continue their education at the segregated Doty High School in McKinney or Douglass High School in Plano until 1964. The original Allen Negro School was rebuilt in 1953 and sold in 1964. The building stands at the corner of Cedar Street and Saint Mary’s Drive.
The Rev. George Anderson began teaching at Allen’s segregated school in 1949. As one of only two teachers at the school, he taught grades 5 through 8 until 1964 when the school was permanently closed. He remained a prominent figure in Allen’s African American community as a social studies teacher and coach at the Allen Middle School and as pastor of St. Mary’s Church.
Small businesses, including the local bank, closed during the depression and the town’s population fell to 400 people in 1950. It was at this same time that an initiative to close smaller school districts and consolidate them with larger ones swept the state.
Allen’s small enrollment made it a target for consolidation if it lost state accreditation. As a result of state legislation in 1949, Collin County School Superintendent moved to consolidate the county into four regional districts.
Efforts by Superintendent Pete Moseley and community leaders such as Alton Boyd, Luther Bolin, Alvis Story, Carl Marion, Major Neely, Frank Howlett, T.H. Cundiff and L.C. Summers brought attention to the possible closure of Allen ISD. A sweep of the district was made to recruit students in the rural areas who were not attending school.
Community Leaders Step Up
A timely election in 1950 awarded the County Superintendent’s post to Allen’s own Pete Moseley and Raymond “Gene” Curtis took over as Allen’s superintendent. This averted the county takeover but didn’t eliminate the threat of closure for Allen ISD. The most critical time was 1956-57 when the district had 158 students enrolled. If a school district fell under 157 students, it lost its accreditation and reverted to common school status.
The city and school populations slowly began to grow by 1960. Planning began for a new high school in 1956 and Allen High School opened for the 1959-1960 school year. Over the next 25 years, this small high school would be expanded or have portions remodeled ten different times.
By 1968, Allen ISD Enrollment topped 500. The slow but steady growth led to the opening of Rountree Elementary in 1974 and Boyd Elementary in 1978.