Consider the positive and negative features of each of the below study spaces.
- Abstract first
- Summarise all readings
- Link every reading to topic
- Critically think as you go - Agree/Disagree and why?
- Use reference lists from readings, especially for assignment research.
Use different reading techniques for different tasks. Save a lot of time and effort by learning which to use!
Reading quickly looking for specific information
- Course list
- Contents Page
Reading quickly for a general understanding.
- Topic sentences
- Introductory & concluding paragraphs
- Key words
- Signpost words
- Identify areas for in-depth reading
Reading slowly, sometimes repeatedly, writing notes and criticall analysing the source.
- Appraise text
- Read through - general understanding
- Write notes
- Follow up difficult/dense sections
- Check reference list