Places of Goulds

A statue of Jesus stands greeting guests at Cauley Square in Goulds, Florida. (Photo by Marshal Brown)

The sign at Goulds Park located on SW. 216th Street in Goulds, Florida. (Photo by Marshal Brown)
Mount Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church in Goulds was organized by Arthur and Polly Mays in 1914. The Church is located next to Arthur & Polly Mays Conservatory of the Arts. (Photo by Marshal Brown)
A commemorative stone sits outside Mount Pleasant Baptist Church showcasing Deacons and Trustees from the community. (Photo by Marshal Brown)
A liberty bell on the grounds of Mount Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church, located in Goulds. The church was established by Mr. Arthur and Mrs. Polly Mays in 1914. The church sits directly across from Arthur Mays Villas. (Photo by Marshal Brown)
Arthur & Polly Mays Conservatory of the Arts in Goulds, Florida. (Photo by Marshal Brown)

Arthur & Polly Mays Conservatory of the Arts located in Goulds, was established to ensure education to the black community of early Goulds. The school served first an Elementary and Junior High School. It then became a Junior and Senior High School in 1951. By 1969 the school was phased out of a Senior High School and became Arthur and Polly Mays Junior High School. In 2011 the school underwent another transformation becoming Arthur & Polly Mays Conservatory of the Arts which teaches students from grade 6-12.

A statue of children playing inside Cauley Square in Goulds, Florida. (Photo by Marshal Brown)
A train and sculptures located in Cauley Square in Goulds, Florida. Cauley Square dates back to 1903 when it was built by farmer William H. Cauley (Photo by Marshal Brown)
Historic Cauley Square in Goulds. Established by Mr. William H. Cauley, has undergone a successful remodeling after being damaged by Hurricane Andrew in 1992. (Photo by Marshal Brown)

Owner Frances Varela took it upon herself to restore Cauley Square's beauty after the site had been in disrepair for many years following the destruction of Hurricane Andrew. Goulds is located seven miles away from where the eye of the storm made landfall, and was severely impacted by the storm. Today, Cauley Square is home to restaurants, shops, and gardens. The site became a "Historical Site" in 1994 under the watchful eye of preservationist Mary Ann Ballard.

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.