Planned Parenthood Planned parenthood may be a bigger deal than we think

Glossary

Vasectomy: Surgery involving the cutting of the testicle so the man is unable to have kids

Fetal tissue: The riches source of stem cells and several parts of it makes it useful for transplants

Healthcare: The maintenance and improvement of physical and mental health

Abortion: Killing of a human pregnancy, usually performed in the first 28 weeks

Patients: A person receiving medical treatment.

abortifacient: A drug that can cause an abortion

What does planned parenthood do?

Planned parenthood is a nonprofit organization that does research into and gives advice on contraception, family planning, and reproductive problems. In fact, they provide access to a lot of life-saving medical, educational services through five health centers, to over 13,000 women and men each year(Women's medical, education rights under fire). Planned Parenthood is beneficial to less fortunate people, helping them get services that are usually more expensive. According to the planned parenthood website “Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care. Our skilled healthcare professionals are dedicated to offering all people high-quality, affordable medical care. One in five American women has chosen Planned Parenthood for health care at least once in her life.” (Who We Are) Woman have tried planned parenthood services because of it’s low costs and beneficial perks. Yet so many people are against Planned Parenthood.

Why do republicans want to get rid of planned parenthood?

Planned parenthood receives government reimbursements from the

Medicaid program for non-abortion health services to low-income women. In this case it seems like Republicans want to outlaw the right of woman on their own pregnancy(Maloney)They want to defund something just because it takes money out of their pockets to help less fortunate people, they also want to get rid of it because they sell fetal tissue. According to the nonpartisan “Congressional Budget Office, would result in roughly 400,000 women losing access to care.”(“Republicans want to defund Planned Parenthood as part of Obamacare fight”) By Republicans defunding planned parenthood, it will stop them from paying taxes but it will hurt the way women access health. Defunding Planned Parenthood will increase medicaid spending.

How does defunding Planned Parenthood increase medicaid spending?

Medicaid spending will increase if planned parenthood is defunded. According to Micheal Hltzik, a contact reporter for the Los Angeles Times “Permanent defunding, the CBO says, would increase federal spending by $130 million over 10 years. Most of the increase would be the result of thousands of unwanted births needing to be covered by Medicaid, as well as coverage of the children’s healthcare.”(Hiltzik). This shows by defunding planned parenthood it will increase other resources, but it will stop the less fortunate from getting the proper health care. By this being true and many people not knowing, they believe that Planned parenthood could just survive off private donors even though private donors only consist of 60% and the other 40% is federal funding. “Without federal funding planned parenthood would have a hard time in areas with large amount of patients and would probably get shut down.”(Evans) By federal funding being a big part of funding planned parenthood, defunding it would cause other health care services more patience and money, which could raise taxes.

Where does the income for planned parenthood come from?

60% of planned parenthood income comes from private donors the other 40% comes from federal funding. According to Miriam Berg a journalist for planned parenthood “To really understand what federal funds pay for at Planned Parenthood, you first need to know that federal tax dollars don’t pay for abortions.” (Berg) The main reason the republicans want to defund planned parenthood is that they think it links only to abortion but that is not the case. In fact Planned parenthood serves 1.5 out of 4 million of the Title X patients(Berg) By planned parenthood serving 1.5 out of 4 million patients Title X funds planned parenthood if planned parenthood wasn't funded it would be pretty bad.

How will life change if planned parenthood is defunded?

Planned parenthood will change women's life drastically and would really cost them a lot of public services. For example Sandy Florez from the School of Communication University of Miami stated “Beside her is a 45-year-old-woman who waits for a breast exam she should have started taken years ago, but of course, neither of her two part-time jobs would cover. Then there is the graduate student, trying to make ends meet, despite her loans racking up – who comes here to pick up her low-cost birth control. These are the faces of Planned Parenthood, and the people that have the most at stake.” (Florez) This shows how many different stories there are for women and it isn’t just the typical “abortion” story. In that case approximately 20 perfect of women in this country are not insured. (Florez) This shows how many women this will directly affect when it comes down to it.

WORK CITED.

“9 Things People Get Wrong About Planned Parenthood” The Cut nymag.com/thecut/2017/01/misconceptions-about-planned-parenthood.html?scrlybrkr=0f50a3cc 2-6-17

Carolyn Maloney “Don’t defund planned parenthood” CNN, www.cnn.com/2015/09/29/opinions/maloney-planned-parenthood/?scrlybrkr=335ad01c Accessed 1-31-17

John C. Willke “Abortion Facts.”www.abortionfacts.com/, URL Jan 24, 2017

Women's Medical, Education Rights Under Fire." The York Dispatch Feb 16 2012 ProQuest. 24 Jan. 2017

MORRIS, ALEX. "The War On Planned Parenthood." Rolling Stone 1259 (2016): 58-74. Academic Search Premier. Web. 3 Feb. 2017.

Sara Ashley O'Brien “Sheryl Sandberg gives $1 million to Planned Parenthood“ CNN http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/01/technology/sheryl-sandberg-planned-parenthood/index.html?scrlybrkr=5fdfdedb# Feb. 2. 2017

Credits:

Created with images by ctrouper - "Don't take away my birth control" • WarmSleepy - ""I was planned"" • Fibonacci Blue - "Protest against Planned Parenthood" • CarlB104 - "AMS_4558-Edit-1b" • Cooperweb - "Money" • WenPhotos - "fist strength anger"

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.