The Colosseum Process journal

We have decided to construct the Colosseum and make it our own. We discussed onto how exactly we are going to build this model and our group came up with a fantastic idea! We are not only trying to make it look like the modern day Colosseum but we are also trying to construct a half of the Colosseum as it was when it was first built. We had to research modern day pictures for our model and some of the oldest images of the Colosseum. Finding pictures that were accurate to this building was a little difficult but they finally showed up. The time spent looking for the scales was doubled. We had to look for both the new and the oldest scales to construct this whole building. Before we started to build, sketching the Colosseum was the most time consuming. Deciding which parts were going to stay as the new Colosseum and which parts were going be constructed as the old Colosseum was a little difficult.

We cut 4 long pieces of cardboard for the Colosseum. Two were made the same length and height for the historic part of the Colosseum and the other two pieces were cut differently for the modern day Colosseum.
To get the outer walls of the Colosseum rounded and into the shape its supposed to be, we used cardboard and slid the cardboard on the edge of the table.
We measured
Then glued on the pieces of cardboard.
Since the walls of the modern day colloseum are deteriorated we had to cut a wall shorter than the rest.
After we super glued the wall up we started working on the interior part of the walls in the colloseum. Getting the details right and knowing what exact walls were deteriorated was a little difficult but after looking over our sketches we finally got it. Getting the cardboard to curve was one of the most time consuming parts because we had to cut the cardboard into small little pieces and glue them side by side to make it curve.
After a couple measurements I cut part of the wall to make it look like it's falling apart. Making the left side of the Colosseum look diteriated was the easy part since it doesn't have to look a specific way.
Adding on the extra walls inside the colloseum was a little chalanging. Since the colloseum is oval shaped we had to shape the cardboard to the shape of the colloseum.
Rain was mostly in charge of making the deteriorated side look as old as possible. He added more detail to the modern day colloseum side and also added the walls to the arena.
Delanie was in charge of cutting out cardboard and shaping it in the form of the stairs on the older side of the colloseum. When she finished the stairs/steps she had to paper mache it so we could have a smoother surface to spray paint on.
To get the correct number of arches of the colloseum Rain measured and drew in the arches so Grant, and Priscila could cut them out. There were 80 arches on each floor of the colloseum so rain drew in 40 for each floor on the ancient side of the colloseum.
The arches were a little hard to cut because the cardboard was a little wobbly. Some pieces fell off so we had to cut extra pieces on cardboard and glue it on the wall.
We spray painted adding two layers of spray paint on the outside of the colloseum.
After the spray paint dried, Rain added a few details on the outside making it look more like the original colloseum first built.
To make it look like the modern day colloseum I drew in a few arches to make it look more detailed.
Drawing in the stairs on the ancient colloseum was a little difficult. The lines aren't straight but that was the best we could do since the spray paint had texture in it and made it difficult to draw on.
This is what our final model looks like!

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.