1. How were the Virginia House of Burgesses and the British Parliament similar? Virginia House of Burgesses and the British Parliament were similar by both sharing power with the king. However the House of Burgesses first assembly was July 30, 1619 while the British Parliament was created 404 years earlier. Just after the Magna Carta was agreed upon the kings royal council gradually transformed into the British Parliament.
2. The Magna Carta. . . The Magna Carta was the limited the power of the English king. The Magna Carta was a charter agreed to by King John on June 15, 1215. Magna Carta was a book by John, the King of England, and Stephen Langton, English Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church and Archbishop of Canterbury.
4. Which best describes an outcome of the First Continental Congress? Colonists pushed Great Britain to repeal its laws to restore favorable relations between Britain and the colonies best describes the First Continental Congress. The First Continental Congress was a meeting that was held on on September 5 to October 26, 1774 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. At this meeting twelve of the thirteen delegates from each colony to "organize colonial resistance to Parliament's Coercive Acts" (Wikipedia).
5. What is a boycott? A boycott is a refusal to buy a good or service. The term "boycott" comes from Charles C. Boycott who refused to reduce rents in 1880. In protest, his residents refused to assist him in anything he need help with.
13. Which words from George Washington to his troops best summarize why the colonists were fighting the Revolutionary War? George Washington once said, “your country is at stake, your wives, your houses and all that you hold dear[,]” best summarize why the colonists were fighting the Revolutionary War. The Revolutionary War was a war fought between American and Britain over America's independence. George Washington was the General in this war leading Americans to victory.
14. Many enslaved people who fought with the Americans in the Revolutionary War received. . . Many enslaved people who fought with the Americans in the Revolutionary War received homesteads, or places to live. This was better than living together in their masters shelter but there wheee many downsides to it. Ultimately they were still not free.
17. Which factor contributed to the depression that struck the United States after the Revolutionary War? A sharp decline in exports contributed to the depression that struck the United States after the Revolutionary War. Exports declined by 28% or more for every capita term. The sharp decline in exports where caused by the destruction caused in the war it's self.
19. Under the Articles of Confederation, the national and state governments shared the power to. . . Under the Articles of Confederation, the national and state governments shared the power to borrow and print money. This form of currency was not back by silver or gold, so it did not retain its worth. Congress also had the control over "diplomacy, resolving controversies between different states, and, most importantly, coordinating the war effort" (ushistory.org).
21. At the Constitutional Convention, discussions of slavery were closely related to discussions about which of these other issues? At the Constitutional Convention, discussions of slavery were closely related to discussions about taxation and representation. Taxation without representation was an issue during the 1750's and 60's. This was considered illegal under the Bill of Rights and was one cause of the Revolutionary War.
22. Which section of the U.S. Constitution protects individual liberties? Amendments 1 through 10 protect the individual liberties in the U.S. Constitution. Individual liberties are defined Merriam-Webster.com as "the liberty of those persons who are free from external restraint in the exercise of those rights which are considered to be outside the province of a government to control". This means that the government can not control a persons liberty.
23. With the ratification of the U.S. Constitution, the national government gained the power to. . . With the ratification of the U.S. Constitution, the national government gained the power to collect taxes. This was stated in the 16th amendment. This amendment was officially adopted on February 3, 1913.
26. Which feature makes the government created by the Constitution a federal system? The national government shares power with the states was the feature that makes the government created by the Constitution a federal system. Federalism is "[a] system of government in which power is divided between a central authority and constituent political units," (thefreedictonary.com). The opposite of federalism is anti-federalism.
28. Which action illustrates the principle of checks and balances? A court voids a congressional law is an action that illustrates the principles of check and balances. The point of checks and balances is to make sure the government has limited power so they are unlike the British monarchy. The government is divided up into three branches: the judicial branch, executive branch, and the legislative branch.
29. What does the Tenth Amendment address? The Tenth Amendment address states' rights. It was addressed to the Congress in 1789. It was particularly created to satisfy the anti-federalists.
30. The First Amendment protects an American's right to. . . The First Amendment protects an American's right to attent an anti-war protest. It also protects Americans freedom of speech and religion. "Madison's version of the speech was introduced in the House of Representatives on June 8, 1789," (law.cornell.edu).
32. What is the main purpose of the Bill of Rights? The main purpose of the Bill of Rights is to limit the power of the federal government. The Bill of Rights is made up of the first 10 amendments. They were also written by James Madison.
33. What right is guaranteed by the Second Amendment? The Second Amendment guaranteed the right to own firearms. This amendment was adopted December 15, 1791. The second amendment was influenced by the English Bill of Rights written in 1689.