- Wellbeing refers in a scientific way to happiness.
- We adopt this new term because the term "happiness" has been exploited and overused, so is difficult to imagine it in a scientific form. "Happiness" is an abstract term, so is for this reason that we use "wellbeing" instead.
- The function of wellbeing is acting as a self-regulator mechanism of our behavior.
HEDONISM (Subjective wellbeing) --> Immediate satisfaction of our desires. Maximize GOOD experiences and minimize BAD one's.
EUDAIMONIA (Psychological wellbeing) --> Activities that are consistent to our personal values, which evoke an engagement that make people feel authentic.
This happens when we have temporal gains or losses in happiness but then, when we have get used to them, we return into a set point. In my case, it occurred 4 years ago, when my dog Sucre died. First of all I felt so empty and distressed, but later, after some months, I got used to be without it and I started to feel better.
Positive psychology emphasizes on optimism and the positive human functioning to build and encourage strengths and to promote wellbeing.
MY HIGHER STRENGTHS
For me, happiness includes some important and logical habits. One of them is to improve and keep the 24 strengths, which are: curiosity, knowledge love, trial, creativity, social intelligence, perspective, courage, perseverance, integrity, goodness, love, teamwork, equity, leadership, self-control, caution, humility, beauty appreciation, gratitude, hope, spirituality, humor, vitality and forgiveness.
In my case, on the one hand, the highest strengths are: love, humor, equity, creativity, social intelligence, perseverance, integrity, goodness, self-control and spirituality.
On the other hand, my lowest strengths are: hope, vitality, humility, trial and perspective.
Another important habit is gratitude. In its task, I had to write three actions that made me feel grateful during another week. Each day I noticed more that is not money or success which causes happiness, but yes small things like a big smile, a good song on the radio, a long hug, a reconciliation with a familiar or a friend, an unexpected visit or even a sunny weather.
We have to express gratitude to become better with ourselves and others without shame, and this doesn't mean only saying "thank you": it really means to become more healthy, empathic and less materialistic, lonely or depressed.
FLOW: The optimal experience
When you experience flow, you establish a balance between perceived action capacities and perceived action opportunities. Another condition to experiment it is an immediate feedback about the process. The subjective challenges and skills of a person influence the quality of his or her experience.
- P positive emotions
- E engagement
- R positive relationships
- M meaning
- A accomplishment
When you complete the activity that makes you flow, your experience with it is an intrinsically rewarding.
Some examples of what means a completely state of flow for me are: traveling and discovering new cultures, learning new languages, skiing, going to the mountain or to the beach and relaxing, meeting with friends, taking some photographs and tasting new and different meals.
EMOTIONS: The affective component
There are lots of different words to express emotions. There are positive and negative emotions, and PosPsych studies the positive ones.
EMOTIONS --> feelings, attention, cognition, facial expressions and cardiovascular and hormonal changes.
HAPPINESS --> POSITIVE EMOTIONS
- Satisfaction with myself
- Good health
- Performing good deeds for society
- Success at work or university
- Longer life
- Good friendships
- Learning new curiosities
- Receiving a reward for helping others
- Carrying out the activity that we love (for example playing the piano)
HOW AM I?
- PHYSICALLY: I feel active, healthy, with charged batteries.
- EMOTIONALLY: I feel happy with myself and others, proud, satisfied, thankful. I'm in a complete state of wellbeing.
- MENTALLY: I feel relaxed, without an accumulation of thoughts. I have a healthy mind and ready to learn new materials.
EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE --> the ability to recognize your emotions, understand what's causing them and reflect on them
- Emotional perception
- Emotional facilitation
- Emotional clarity
- Emotional regulation
To move from pessimism to optimism are necessary three phases.
- PESSIMIST PHASE: the problem
- DISPUTE: alternatives, other evidencies that justify my thought. Apart from that, what other reasons may exist for that to happen?
- OPTIMIST PHASE: optimistic thought
We have to change other actions or our way to see different perspectives in order to reach optimism. It's necessary to search the reasons of the problem and look for a variety of possible solutions.
PAI: My individual action plan
- Study the theory for my driving license
- Look for work for summer
- Search information about lots and different countries
- Stay at home doing nothing to achieve my goals
- Look for excuses for not going to the driving school
- Waste time in Social Networks
KEEP ON DOING:
- Continue in the English academy and in the University
- Continue working on Sundays at the Lleida-Alguaire airport
- Try to go at least once a year traveling either away or close to home
MY DREAM COME TRUE: TRAVELING, LEARNING
- Getting my driving license
- Working to save money
- Learning new languages
WHAT HAVE I LEARNED?
- What are and how they work positive emotions
- What is positive psychology (PosPsych)
- How to improve our optimism and gratitude and apply them in practical cases
- The difference of mental health and mental illness
- Change our perspective of things
- What are our strengths and apply them in practical cases
- How to improve our happiness and emotional intelligence
- What is a completely situation of wellbeing and how to get there.
WHAT HAS BEEN MOST USEFUL FOR ME?
Discovering my skills and my strengths to know how to put them into practice in a correct way. Also discovering my punctuations of emotional intelligence, teamwork, happiness, satisfaction and optimism to work on and improve them.
HOW WILL I APPLY ALL THIS KNOWLEDGE?
In my personal life: to grew up and become a better person, to see life in a good way and to learn new things and achieve new objectives.
Also to help others: to know how to treat people, empathize with them and teach them this new learning of seeing life.
ONE PURPOSE THAT WILL BE FULFILLED AT THE END OF THIS YEAR
WORKING IN SUMMER AND GETTING MY DRIVING LICENSE