--- CAMPAIGN OVERVIEW ---
"Phubbing" describes the act of snubbing someone in a social setting by using one’s phone instead of talking to the person directly in one’s company. With iPhones being one of the most popular choice of phones, we've noticed an increasing amount of iPhone users being disconnected with the real world and losing real interaction with real people due to their exceeding time spent on unconsciously looking at their phones while being with other people, for examples, during parties, dinners, group projects. People who go out finding social connections end up having virtual connections with one another instead.
We want our product to increase and improve human connections, not destroy it. As much as we want consumers to use and love our products, we don't want to see them waste away precious moments of life looking down on their iPhones. Therefore, the #NoGhost campaign will be revolutionary in the Apple history, that aims to encourage users to not be the "ghost" in the room; to give others your love and not your likes; to feel human affection in conversations and not millions of emoji on the screens.
Some might think we [Apple] are contradicting ourselves by coming forth with this campaign, however, we're not. In our vision statement, we've mention that "we have the self- honesty to admit when we’re wrong and the courage to change."
Apple revolutionized cellphones, and people's lives. However, we as a company see the negative side of the trend if users miss-use and twist the purpose of the products we produce. Therefore, this campaign will be a wake up call to the world. We believe that speaking out as one of the most successful technology companies, people will pay attention and hopefully start realizing that life solely on their phones, is dead. We[Apple] hope to set an example to the millions of people who worship and adore our products.
This will be a year long social media campaign, aside from using facebook, twitter as our main social media platforms, we will also partner with the Green Bank, West Virginia city hall and Macquarie Dictionary of Australia which started a "Stop phubbing" campaign in 2012.
--- CURRENT APPROACHES ---
1. Chick-Fil-A's "Cell Phone Coop"
The crispy chicken chain is installing “Cell Phone Coop” plastic boxes on tables in 150 of its stores, encouraging people to put down their phones and actually talk to each other. In exchange, Chick-fil-A is offering free ice cream to those that can go tech-free for the duration. The campiagn was launched February 2016.
2. Dixie's #DarkForDinner
Georgia-Pacific's Dixie brand is asking consumers to pay attention to their families and friends, at least for a few hours on the next six Sundays. The brand believes that if consumers use disposable Dixie products and don't have to worry about cleaning up after a meal, they will be more inclined to linger at the dinner table and connect more with people. The campaign, "Dark for Dinner," launches Sunday, June 14.
3. "Stop Phubbing" Campaign
Alex Haigh, an Australian graduate student, started a "Stop Phubbing" campaign that aims to help society catch up by making serious points with his humorous use of contrived data.
" Research reveals that 44% of us spend more than 1/2 hrs a day looking at our phones, 8% admit to checking it for 3 hrs a day, 3% say they spend 5 > hrs on their mobiles. "
There are many Apps out there that are designed to help people from being distracted by their phones, preventing them to be phubbers. Such as, "Catch-22", "Offtime", "Moment", "Breakfree", etc...
There are many inspirational videos on YouTube addressing the issue, some of the more well-known ones are "Look up" by Grey Tuk
and "Can we auto correct humanity" by Prince Ea. Prince Ea.
--- targeted AUDIENCE ---
Our targeted audience for this social media campaign are young people between the age 15-30. The reason is because they are the most activity trapped in the world of social media. It is getting more and more common for a group of young people to "hang out" without "really" being there. So many will unconsciously be constantly checking their phones and begin replying to a text/message during a conversation with another person. The phenomenon of seeing couples going out on dinner or lunch dates with their phones while sharing a meal together is becoming more and more common.
We understand that phubbing is also an increasing problem for the older generation. However, we've chose to focus our targeted audiences to the younger generation between the age 15-30 is because they are the ones that could potentially give a bigger impact and maybe even change the trend to the generations after them.
--- SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM ---
Apple's social media activity is known to be low, and tends to use these social media platforms to promote advertisements or provide customers services support, and doesn't use the page like an average company to increase public awareness because of the large amount of world of mouth among their products.
“Why we go to social media while we are creating good product
with a high percentage of word of mouth”.
- Twitter & Facebook
Apple does have an official social media pages, the official Facebook page has 139,293 likes and official Twitter page has 848K followers but both shows zero activity. Therefore the we believe that these will be perfect platform for the promotion of our #NoGhost campaign and it will be a surprise to the world that Apple is finally using their social media, which will increase the impact of our campaign.
There will be three accounts that will be used for this event @apple, @applesupport and @AppStore. We will aim to posting 10 tweets a day for each account from 1-3 pm during weekdays and 6-8 pm during weekends with a variety of messages, including wake up calls, actual promotion of the campaign and words of encouragement addressing the act of phubbing. Hashtag #NoGhost will be used to identify our main goal and concern for people to not be the ghost in the room.
- @apple with 848K followers, will mainly be used for the promotion of events for the campaign.
- @applesupport with 618K followers, will mainly be used for posting inspirational quotes against the act of phubbing and statistics on how phubbing has effected our daily lives and actual human connection, will mostly partner with the Stop Phubbing campaign for this post.
- @AppStore with 4.57M follower, will mainly focus on the new #NoGhost app Apple will launch for available for free for all Apple users, details of the app will be listed in the campaign planning part
The official Apple Facebook account will be mainly be used to post videos about phubbing and the promotion of advertisements on the new app and competitions about the event. We aim to post messages and videos during 5-7 pm weekdays and at 9 PM during weekends
One social media platform that Apple has actually used is tumblr, and therefore, we will also use Tumblr in the #NoGhost campaign. Most of the inforgraphic, posters, media artwork and short articles about the negative effects of Phubbing will be posted on Tumblr. We aim to poster 4 meadia artwork and two short articles a day.
--- THE CAMPAIGN ---
<The #NoGhost app>
- Launch Date: January 1st, 2017
- End Date: 31st December, 2107 (End for the campaign, but the app will go on and prizes will still be given during the end of each year)
- Reason: Kick start of the campaign
- The app will be available in the App Store and will be in built in the new release Apple products. This app can sense the hours you are using social media while being with other people, both parties will have to have the app turned on. This app acts as a game among friends, where users can see the data of social media usage among friends during the particular period of time they are hanging out. A "Stop Phubbing" or "You are a Ghost!" poster will pop on your screens when Apple senses that most of the people in the same room are no social media. At the end of each period of usage, the person that went on social media the least will be given 1/2000 of a puzzle that will end up giving you different prizes at the end of the year.
- Prizes :
- If you were able to get all 2000 pieces of the puzzle, you will be finding an invitation to a Christmas dinner held by the apple company in which people will not be able to use their phones during the dinner, and enjoy a time with real people and enjoy the taste of the food without taking thousands of pictures of it. You will also get exclusive opportunities to talk with the CEO and developers of Apple.
- If you get 1000 pieces of the puzzle, you will be getting $100 apple or gas gift card
- If you get 500 pieces of the puzzle, you will be getting $50 apple or gas gift card
- - Social media platform: Twitter
<Inforgraphic/ Posters/ Blogs Competition>
- Launch Date: February 1st, 2017
- End Date: June 31,2017
- Details: Apple will post inforgraphic, posters, user generated media art works and short articles on their Ttumblr page. So more people will exposed to the concept and idea of being a "phubber". We will encourage people to create their own "#NoGhost" "Stop Phubbing" art work and the art work with the most online votes will be bought by Apple and the designer will be able to work with Apple to create the new iPhone wallpaper.
- Launch Date: March 1st, 2017
-End Date: December 31st,2017
Details: This is a pledge for #NoGhost, the pledge will be like this "I am not a ghost and will not be the ghost in the room when everyone else is here with me. I will make the most out of the time I have with them and create memories generated by my brain and not my app". We aim to get 400 million people to make the pledge. 100 lucky people will be get the chance to go to Green Bank, West Virginia, for a week to experience a life without Wifi and connection.
- Social media platform: Facebook
<Shame the Phubbers>
- Launch day: April 1st, 2017 (April fools day)
-End date: April, 1st, 2017 (April fools day)
- Reason: This is the day Apple computers was founded, and the day that changed how people use their phones, so this event will be a funny way to get people engaged and be aware that their are actually many people are phubbers
- Details: People will post pictures of their phubber friends on social media with the hashtage#NoGhost and send them the letter found on StopPhubber.com
- Social media platform: Facebook & Twitter
<Video Series: True Stories>
Launch Date: April 2nd, 2017
End Date: June 30th, 2017
Details: We will make a few different types of videos, the first type will be a street swap series, to ask people on the streets or even phubber on the spot, a few questions and how they felt about the phenomena. The second type of videos, we will invite some kids in the studio, and see how they feel about parents who are always on their phones, and the parents will be on another room listening to what their children are saying. The third type of video will be inspirational videos, somewhat like the "look up".
- Social media platform: Facebook
<National No Phone Day>
- Launch date: June 29, 2017
-End date: June 29, 2017
Reasons: June 29, 2007 was the date the 1st iPhone was launched and introduced to the public. We want to use this date the encourage people to put down their phones and enjoy the company of one another. It is one of our goals that the 2nd year after this campaign, national no phone day will be accepted by the general public and see people worldwide taking part.
- Details: People will be encouraged to put down their phones and step away from social media the entire day, but could have the option to set a maximum of going on social media for 10 mins every two hours. Users of Apple products will be able to set on their phones the amount of time they would use the social media apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. If you were able to not use your phone for social media the whole day, a message of encouragement will pop up on your screen at the end of the day, and you will be rewarded a $5 Apple gift card.
- Social media platform: Facebook & Twitter
< 50% off Lunch!! if you don't use your phone>
- Launch date: August 6th (National Friendship Day)
- End date: August 6th (National Friendship Day)
- Reason: To celebrate the meaning of having a true friend and not just the hundreds and thousands of friends that follow or like you on social media.
-Detail: Apple will partner with Chick-Fil-A, TGIF, Five Guys, Buffalo Wild Wings and Red Lobster, for customers who dine-in with friends and don't use their phones and don't go on social media will get 50% off when they check out.
- Social media platform: Facebook & Twitter
<Inforgraphic/ Posters/ Blogs Showcase>
- Launch Date: August 11th, 2017
- End Date: N/A
- Details: All the previously user generated art work will be showcased. More articles will be posted on the page for people to be reminded about the Apple #NoGhost campaign.