What's Empatico? Empatico, incubated by The KIND Foundation, is a free tool for educators of students ages 6-11 to connect their classrooms and groups with peers around the world. Educators do this through a combination of live video and standards- and research-based activities designed to foster meaningful connections that spark curiosity, kindness, and empathy. Empatico provides all the tools educators need in one place: a partner classroom, activity plans, and built-in video, messaging, and scheduling tools. Empatico is committed to connecting 1 million children to one another by 2020, and was named a Fast Company 2018 World Changing Idea and a top edtech tool in 2019.
What's the opportunity? Empatico will provide grants to each school or program in order to amplify their efforts to spread empathy and kindness. We are looking for grantees to share in our commitment to and enthusiasm for developing students’ social and emotional learning, specifically critical thinking, curiosity, perspective taking, and empathy, through virtual exchanges with peers across the U.S. and the world.
What do you get?
- Up to $10,000, or more depending on the number of participating educators, in grant funding to help implement Empatico with a group of educators in your school / school network / after school program. For an example, read this blog about how Washington Township Public Schools implemented Empatico across all of its elementary schools
- Professional development resources and dedicated support with grant implementation from the Empatico team
- Opportunity to participate in Empatico’s evaluation studies. Participants will receive the results
- Amplifying the stories generated by Grantees through social media and other media outlets
- Priority access to future grant funding applications
Eligibility: All U.S. based school districts, clusters of schools, individual schools, and networks of before/after school programming with 6-11 year olds (grades K-5) who can implement the grant between August 2019 and June 2020 are eligible to apply. Grants are awarded based on the number of educators participating in the initiative.
Application and Timeline: The priority deadline for applications is Friday, April 26th, 2019 and decisions will be made by May 17th. Applications submitted after April 26th, will be considered on a rolling basis.
If you are interested in applying, but have questions, please submit the quick form below. A member of the Empatico Team will be in touch.
Want to learn more about Empatico?