“Oh aunty, it's a splendid new play! Can I really cook at the dear stove, and have parties and mess, and sweep, and make fires that truly burn? I like it so much! What made you think of it?”
“Your liking to make gingersnaps with Asia made me think of it,” said Mrs. Bhaer, holding Daisy, who frisked as if she would fly. “I knew Asia wouldn't let you mess in her kitchen very often, and it wouldn't be safe at this fire up here, so I thought I'd see if I could find a little stove for you, and teach you to cook; that would be fun, and useful too. So I travelled round among the toy shops, but everything large cost too much and I was thinking I should have to give it up, when I met Uncle Teddy. As soon as he knew what I was about, he said he wanted to help, and insisted on buying the biggest toy stove we could find. I scolded, but he only laughed, and teased me about my cooking when we were young, and said I must teach Bess as well as you, and went on buying all sorts of nice little things for my 'cooking class' as he called it.”
― Louisa May Alcott, Little Men
French Knot & Blanket Stitch
This video demonstrates the french knot (banana seeds) and the blanket stitch (sewing the outside rim of the banana).
- You will sew together two larger cream pancake circles using the regular thread included and the backstitch. Just stitch along the outer edge.
- Be sure to leave a gap of an inch or two. Once done, turn the pancake right-side out.
- After turning it right-side out, carefully fold the hem inward and whip stitch in place.
- Sew smaller tan circles to the top and bottom using the whip stitch.
STRAWBERRY PIE FILLING
Cut Center -
- Stitch the inner cream core of the strawberry to the center light pink using large downward sloping stitches.
Outside Skin -
Sewing the pieces together
- Create several french knots on each of the large red felt pieces.
- When finished sew a running stitch along the top side of this same piece and gather.
- Use the whip stitch to sew the pink inner piece to the red outer piece.
- Start along the top gathered section pulling it tighter to match the two pieces together.
- Before sewing closed, add stuffing.
- Tie the ends together and sew them through the strawberry. Cut the tail and it will now be hidden in the center.
Apple Pie Filling
- Whip stitch two cream pieces together at the straight edge.
- Use the backstitch to create a heart-like shape at the center.
- Sew on the green peel with the blanket stitch.
- Before closing, stuff with batting.
Created with images by stux - "dolls kitchen toys old"