What is a healthy diet?
A healthy diet means consuming the right quantities of foods from all food groups in order to lead a healthy life, it’s important to eat a variety of foods to make a balanced diet. It’s fine to eat small amounts of our favorite foods from time to time. Healthy eating means eating a variety of foods that give you the nutrients you need to feel good and have energy.
- Emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products.
- Includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts.
- Is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars.
- Stays within your daily calorie needs.
Why is a healthy diet important?
A healthy diet is important because everyday the foods we eat affect our health. Unhealthy eating habits have contributed to the obesity epidemic in the United States. About 33.8% of adults are obese and approximately 17% (or 12.5 million) of children and adolescents aged 2—19 years are obese. Even for people at a healthy weight, a poor diet is associated with major health risks that can cause illness and even death. (heart disease, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, and certain types of cancer.) By having a healthy diet, you can help protect yourself from these health problems.
What does the Myplate graphic look like?
- Grain: Grain products include breads, pastas and cereals - they should be made with 100% whole grain. According to the USDA, we should consume at least 3 ounces of grains per day.Grains should make up about 30% of our nutritional intake.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Fruit and vegetables have a high vitamin, mineral and fiber content - these nutrients are vital for your body to function well. Most health departments throughout the world recommend that we consume three portions of fruit and vegetables each day. A portion can consist of one large fruit such as an apple or an orange, or 3 tablespoons of fruits or vegetables. Fruits and vegetables should make up about 50% of our nutritional intake.
- Protein: Protein-rich foods include essential minerals, such as iron, magnesium, zinc, as well as B vitamins. Proteins should make up about 20% of our nutritional intake.
- Dairy: Aim for low fat dairy products. Choose fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese. Recommended 3 cups of dairy everyday
How can eating a healthy diet affect my ability to live a healthy and balanced life?
Eating a healthy diet can affect my ability to live a healthy and balanced life because if I don't eat healthy i'm more likely to become obese or have health problems. When I don't eat healthy i don't feel like doing anything i just want to sit at home and do nothing, but when i do eat healthy I feel motivated to exercise and be active. This can help me daily because if I eat a healthy breakfast in the morning, i'm more motivated to go to school and learn.