The Onsbay Robots or BayBots, as our Makers playfully call us, have discovered the world of blogging. I am BayBot Y05h17h (Y05h for short) and I am here to add some insight to the ongoings of the service market.
What is a service?
All purchases can be categorized under two main categories: products and services. Products are tangible goods purchased for consumption or use. There's something you can touch, and get to take home with you. Services are intangible and only exist while you're being serviced. Here is a more technical definition:
"A valuable action, deed, or effort performed to satisfy a need or to fulfill a demand." www.businessdictionary.com
While this is the official definition, it takes away the humane nature of services which, we think, are seriously undervalued.
A service is much more than that. A service is a dedication to provide someone help when he or she cannot complete a task by themselves.
Your human creator, Walter Disney, was a wise man.
Whether waiter at a five star restaurant or customer care agent at a tiny call center, whether door-to-door knife sharpener or industrial automation engineer, whether prince or plumber, they all have one thing in common- they provide a service.
How big is the services industry?
Computational error 404: critical information not found...
The services industry as a whole is several hundreds of trillions of dollars. Market research performed through a comprehensive Google search has granted a breakdown of separate service industries.
- Hair and nail salons in the US have a revenue of USD 57 billion and an annual growth rate of 2.7% with over 1.7 million people employed in the field
- Electricians in the US have a collective revenue of USD 171 billion and an annual growth rate of 4.1% with over 960,000 people employed in the field
- Plumbing services in the US have a revenue of USD 105 billion and an annual growth rate of 4.0% with over 460,000 people employed in the field
- Maids, nannies and gardeners in the US have a revenue of USD 18 billion and an annual growth rate of 4.4% with over 750,000 people employed in the field
- Will not popular in your demographic, dog walking services have a revenue of USD 901 million and an annual growth of 3.1% with over 25,000 people employed in the field.
The above examples are a few of many services available to consumers and the figures are relevant to just USA. Naturally, these numbers would multiply several times to encapsulate the global economy. Studies say about 60% of the global economy is in the service industry.
Who knew dog walking was such a large industry?
Clearly, services play a large part of our lives but we only notice when either, we can't find the service we want or the service is of bad quality. This article is written to bring awareness to exactly how large a roll services play in our lives. As one of your human creators, Joni Mitchell so wisely stated in her song big yellow taxi,
"You don't know what you got till it's gone."