Department of Agriculture
Year founded: 1898
Department Leader: Sonny Perdue (awaiting approval)
Mission: The Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides leadership on food, agriculture, natural resources, rural development, nutrition and related issues based on sound public policy, the best available science, and efficient management.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of Agriculture
- Congress: Agriculture Committee
- Lobby: American Farm bureau Federation
Department of Commerce
Year Founded: 1903
Department Leader: Wilbur Ross
Mission: The Department of Commerce promotes job creation, economic growth, sustainable development, and improved living standards for all Americans by working in partnership with businesses, universities, communities, and workers.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of Commerce
- Congress: Finance Committee
- Lobby: United State Chamber of Commerce
Department of Defense
Year Founded: 1949
Department Leader: James Mattis
Mission: The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of Defense
- Congress: Armed Services Committee
- Lobby: National Defense PAC
Department of Education
Year Founded: 1979
Department Leader: Betsy Devos
Mission: ED's mission is to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of Education
- Congress: Education and the Workforce Committee
- Lobby: National Education Association
Department of Energy
Year Founded: 1977
Department Leader: Rick Perry
Mission: The mission of the Energy Department is to ensure America's security and prosperity by addressing its energy, environmental and nuclear challenges through transformative science and technology solutions.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of Energy
- Congress: Energy and Commerce Committee
- Lobby: American Coalition for Ethanol
Department of Health and Human Services
Year Founded: 1953
Department Leader: Tom Price
Mission: The mission of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is to enhance the health and well-being of Americans by providing for effective health and human services and by fostering sound, sustained advances in the sciences underlying medicine, public health, and social services.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of Health and Human Service
- Congress: Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee
- Lobby: American Nurses Association
Department of Homeland Security
Year Founded: 2002
Department Leader: Tom F. Kelly
Mission: The vision of homeland security is to ensure a homeland that is safe, secure, and resilient against terrorism and other hazards.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of Homeland Security
- Congress: Homeland Security Committee
- Lobby: American Security Council Foundation
Department of Housing and Urban Development
Year Founded: 1965
Department Leader: Ben Carson
Mission: UD’s mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD is working to strengthen the housing market to bolster the economy and protect consumers; meet the need for quality affordable rental homes; utilize housing as a platform for improving quality of life; build inclusive and sustainable communities free from discrimination; and transform the way HUD does business.
- Federal Bureaucracy: HUD
- Lobby group: Government National Mortgage Association,
- Congress committiee: House Administration
Department of Justice
Year Founded: 1870
Department Leader: Jeff Sessions
Mission: To enforce the law and defend the interests of the United States according to the law; to ensure public safety against threats foreign and domestic; to provide federal leadership in preventing and controlling crime; to seek just punishment for those guilty of unlawful behavior; and to ensure fair and impartial administration of justice for all Americans.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of Justice
- Lobbying: National Rifle Association
- Congress: Homeland Security
Department of Labor
Year Founded: 1913
Department Leader: Alexander Acosta (awaiting approval)
Mission: To foster, promote, and develop the welfare of the wage earners, job seekers, and retirees of the United States; improve working conditions; advance opportunities for profitable employment; and assure work-related benefits and rights.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of Labor
- Congress: Education and the Workforce Committee
- Lobby: American Federation of Teachers
Department of State
Year Founded: 1789
Department Leader: Rex Tillerson
Mission: Today, the primary responsibility of the U.S. Department of State and its employees is to fight terrorism, protect U.S. interests abroad, and implement foreign policy initiatives while building a freer, prosperous and secure world.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of State
- Congress: Foreign Affairs Committee
- Lobby: Citizens for Global Solution
Department of the Interior
Year Founded: 1849
Department Leader: Ryan Zinke
Mission: The Department of the Interior protects and manages the Nation's natural resources and cultural heritage; provides scientific and other information about those resources; and honors its trust responsibilities or special commitments to American Indians, Alaska Natives, and affiliated island communities.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of Interior
- Congress: Indian Affairs Committee
- Lobby: NRDC Action Fund
Department of the Treasury
Year Founded: 1789
Department Leader: Steve Mnuchin
Mission: Treasury's mission highlights its role as the steward of U.S. economic and financial systems, and as an influential participant in the world economy. The Treasury Department is the executive agency responsible for promoting economic prosperity and ensuring the financial security of the United States.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of the Treasury
- Congress: Budget Committee
- Lobby: Financial Executives International
Department of Transportation
Year Founded: 1966
Department Leader: Elaine Chao
Mission: The mission of the Department is to: Serve the United States by ensuring a fast, safe, efficient, accessible and convenient transportation system that meets our vital national interests and enhances the quality of life of the American people, today and into the future.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of Transportation
- Congress: Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
- Lobby: United Auto Workers
Department of Veteran Affairs
Year Founded: 1778
Department Leader: David Shulkin
Mission: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's veterans.
- Federal Bureaucracy: Department of Veterans Affairs
- Congress: Veterans’ Affairs Committee
- Lobby: Combat Veterans for Congress