About the Company
- Bloomingdale's is an upscale chain of department stores owned by American multinational corporation Macy's, Inc.
- Currently has 45 upscale department and outlet stores in 12 states, including California, Florida, Illinois, and New York
- Approximately 10,500 employees
- Revenue: $1 to $2 billion per year
- Headquarters: 1000 3rd Ave. New York, NY
- Started in 1861 when brothers Joseph and Lyman Bloomingdale began selling hoop skirts in their Ladies Nations' Shop in Manhattan's Lower East Side
- Credited with inventing the department store concept, selling a variety of women’s fashions. This was a bold move in the era of specialty shops
- By 1929, Bloomingdale’s covered an entire city block in New York
Although Bloomingdale’s is a Fortune 100 Company, it holds true to the family values of its founding brothers. As large as it may become, it vows to remain intimate and operate with the utmost integrity like a family run business.
- When it first opened it was revolutionary in its design. While many retailers filled the display windows to display everything they sold, Bloomingdale’s created more of a curated display window that was suggestive and visually appealing.
- In 1961, Bloomingdale’s made retail history by introducing the first designer shopping bag.
- In 1973, the iconic "Brown Bag" appeared. The bag itself is both an advertising and marketing tool.
- The store's name was left off the bag completely, however, the Bloomingdale's name attached itself in a more enduring way: It was known to those in the know, which made the bags considered chic.
Awards and recognition
- Readers' Choice Top 50 Employers, Workforce Diversity Magazine, 2009
- Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Retail
- Newsweek Magazine’s 500 Greenest Companies in America
- 2015 Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality
- Mobile Commerce Awards as 2014 Mobile Retailer of the Year
- Top 50 on Universum Top 100 Most Attractive Employers in the US
- Bloomingdale’s Store Management Internship program teaches the inner workings of a multi-million dollar upscale department store.
- Opportunity to shadow key members of the 59th Street Store Management leadership team and to be exposed to the day-to-day events of the dynamic, fast-paced industry.
- Exposure to senior leadership and the opportunity to participate in company initiatives.
“The Best of the Best Awards”
An event hosted in New York City where the best of Bloomingdale’s from around the nation are brought in and hosted by the Executive Committee for two full days of celebration and recognition.
- Uses marketing strategies to increase revenue by tailoring the Bloomingdale's experience to each customer.
- Creative consumer ideation sessions
- Innovation and Strategy implementation workshops