What are the clinical signs?
- Sudden death (disturbed soil around feet and heat from seizure)
- Seizures – Paddling limbs, sudden eye movements, rapid pounding heart
- High head, twitching muscles, lack of coordination, grinding teeth
- Startled expression, exaggerated blink reflex
- Cow separated from group
Prevention is better than cure – what is your grass telling you?
- Graze diverse multispecies swards during high risk periods
- Graze sheltered fields if possible, during stormy weather
- Feed cows on deferred grazing with higher dry matter levels
- Offer straw in ring feeders to slow feed passage through rumen
- Contact your nutritionist to advise on supplementing cattle
- Supplement with high mag rolls or magnesium minerals
For more information, contact