SAKURA MIYANO TYPOGRAPHY 2017

In this unit we had three tasks, to create a poster of the alphabet from natural objects, designing a poster celebrating the 70th anniversary of Helvetica, and to create a self portrait out of letters.

Typographic Poster - School

This was my first time making a typographic poster and using adobe inDesign. Our first task was to find letters in the alphabet from objects in school. Here I learnt that we could create letter forms from objects and items we see often but ignore. Making this poster took me a while since I found it hard to find letter forms in school. Not only the process of finding the letters, but arranging them in adobe inDesign was also hard. Personally, I really like the A and L but I think I could have done better on the B, D, and Z. I should have made all effects the same color since some are black & white and some in their original colors as this makes the poster look messy. I also could have taken some pictures from a different angle to make it look more like letters.

Typographic Poster - Vivo City

This is my second Typographic poster made from objects and items in Vivo. This time, I found it a lot easier than last time because Vivo City has a lot more different objects compared to our school. Also because I already knew what I was looking for unlike the time in school where I was just taking pictures of random objects. Personally, I like the 'A' and the 'M'. I could have improved on the 'L'. I also could have changed the layout of the way the images were arranged.

Distorting Helvetica

After we finished making our second Typographic Poster, we started making a poster to celebrate Helvetica's 70th anniversary. The theme of this poster was 'distort'. The word 'Helvetica' in our poster had to be destroyed by looking out of shape. To do this we cut, crushed, and folded a paper with 'Helvetica' on it. The process of this was easy, as all we had to do was crush the paper. I also inked, smudged, and wet the paper which gave me a new style unlike the others (bottom row).

Distorting Helvetica

After we crushed and ruined the helvetica paper, we took a photo of it and edited it. This removed the paper and the background from the helvetica.

béla bartók, fête de la musique à shanghai, Node Runner

Here we looked at some posters which could help us give an idea of what we could make. The one that caught my eye the most was the one in the middle, fête de la musique à shanghai, created by Irradie. The idea of putting the text inside the crushed paper was interesting. I also like the text around the paper and how it doesn't seem destroyed unlike the text in it, clearly showing the difference between crushed and normal text. I used this crushed paper idea for my own poster and add my own crumbled helvetica into it.

Distorting Helvetica

Here I added filters to the destroyed helvetica we saw earlier. I used many different filters such as glass, plastic wrap, and note paper. The plastic wrap made it look more 3D and more clean, while the others made it look more destroyed. If I were to use filters in my poster, I would use filters that would ruin the helvetica more instead of making it more clear.

Designing The Poster

We started thumbnail drawing our designs for the poster. After I decided on what idea I was going to go with, I started developing on that idea further (second image). My finale idea was to use crushed paper and use the displacement map method to put the helvetica text on it. Around the paper, I would put the words 70 and anniversary and destoryed in red bold letters. In the end we did not finish this task, but I think it was a good experience as we still got to use different tools and still learn new things.

Letterform Portait Helvetica

After our poster, we started using letters to make the shape of our face. The first time was really hard as identifying which letters would fit was confusing. One thing I needed to work on was, to stop using brackets. I should also change the way I lay out my hair as it looks messy.

Letterform Portrait Serif

This time it was much easier as I knew what I was looking for. Also, after seeing other examples, I learnt new ways to organise my letters better. For example, I learnt that I could leave spaces between each letter which makes it seem more clean. One thing I worked on here was that I didn't overlap letters like I did last time.

Letterform Portrait Yozakura

Here we got to choose a font by ourselves. I chose this font because it represents my Japanese personality. Yozakura is a Japanese word meaning "cherry blossom in the night". This is my third try in creating a self portrait and is my favorite one by far. It was much easier than the second time as it didn't take me long to make this. This font was realIy easy to use and the strokes fit my parts really well. The shoulders worked really well here as well and it looks natural. I think this font made me look manlier . I tried using letters I didn't use in the other ones, for example Z. This self portrait is based around on the letter Z. I think the shoulders here worked really well and so did the hair.

Letterform Portrait Yozakura Effects

In this unit, I worked really hard on the effects since I didn't get to use them much last unit. These effects were really hard and took a long time to make. I think I could have improved on the carpet effect as it doesn't look natural.

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.