Case Study Group 2 Nick Frost, Josh Schumacher, Wren Martin, Patricia Barnes, Giang Dang Vu, Lorraine Sunguli, Nate Nickerson

What is VLAS?

The Virginia Legal Aid Society (VLAS) provides free civil legal services to low-income residents of Central and Eastern Virginia. VLAS provides assistance to cases regarding education, housing, health care, public benefits, family, and consumer dealings. Their mission is to bring justice, stability, and relief to low-income people and families through these free legal services.

Pre-Survey Suggestions

  • Consolidate questions (55, 57, and 58) into a scale that has the various medias on a left vertical column with a range (never, rarely, somewhat, often) following each medium.
  • Remove unnecessary questions (49, 54, 57)
  • Provide survey online with a progress bar, and only 30-40 questions.

Research Questions and Hypotheses

  • RQ1: Were the majority of individuals able to seek healthcare services unaided?
  • H1: The majority of individuals were able to seek healthcare services unaided.
  • HO1: The majority of individuals were not able to seek healthcare services unaided.
  • RQ2: What is the most prevalent need of VLAS clientele?
  • H2: Healthcare is the prevalent need VLAS clientele face.
  • HO2: Healthcare is not the most prevalent need VLAS clientele face.

Summary of Results

Limitations

While working on this project we were faced by multiple obstacles. The first obstacle we were faced with was the ability access the data. Without any access to the data, we could not run the data through the SPSS program in order to accurately analyze it. Also because of this, we were not able to compile a data analysis report on time. Another obstacle that we faced was that we had no interactions with the participants. This limited us greatly because we were not able to completely understand more about the participants.

Results

  • Healthcare was the most prevalent need among VLAS needs.
  • 82.7% of participants reported health problems.
  • The majority of individuals were able to seek healthcare unaided.
  • 18.2% sought no preventive care and individuals and 7.9% experienced issues gaining access to healthcare.
  • 42.9% of individuals have experienced issues getting into medical care in some capacity.

Recommendations

VLAS should allocate their budget proportionally to the major issues reported. Over 80% of the respondents indicated issues with health and health care. For the remaining categories, less than 20% of the respondents indicated that they had issues. Therefore, we would recommend that VLAS allocate 75% of their available budget towards health and health care issues, and distribute the remaining 25% among the other categories.

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.